Options

Reindtroduction

linuxgodlinuxgod Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just realized after over a year of being on techexams that I'm the only clown here using my real name so I decided to make a new account until further notice. A little about myself. I've been in IT professionally for about a year and half now and I've been supporting linux for about a year. I'm currently a Jr Systems Admin at a webhosting company with servers running Windows 2003/2008, RHEL(multiple versions), CentOS(multiple versions), Ubuntu server(multiple versions) and FreeBSD(same as the others). I've seen one FC4 box and I've heard about some solaris boxes but I've been at my current job a little over a month and have yet to work on all of the servers. We have a networking department that handles the networking stuff by we support the customers dedicated firewall which is usually a Cisco ASA 5505 but sometimes it's a linux box running iptables. We have some cloud customers who get their own VM on a shared server as well but I haven't done much with virtualization other than mess with a test ESXi server that we have and assist a customer with configuring Hyper-V. I currently go to WGU which is why I'll probably end up racking more certs than I really want at this point in my career since I'm pretty much set on linux and I feel confident that this is a place I could stay at for a long time gaining that all important experience. I currently work night shift which gives me some study time but as soon as I finish my degree, I'm probably headed to the dayshift where it's much busier.

Also a little about my personal life. I am currently enaged and have a son who is going on 9 months this month. I'm glad to be in such a good position financially because I'd like to provide to him all of the things my parents provided to me.

Anyway. just thought I'd reintroduce myself again since I'm basically a noob on this site until further notice. It also looks like I don't get a signature just yet either.

Comments

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @linuxgod - Welcome again to TE. I just checked your old profile and although you did remove your pic, it does still seem to display your name, date of birth and location - well, when you become as famous as Darril and JDMurray, you can always revert to using your real name again. :)
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray is famous? icon_surprised.gif

Welcome back though!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    H to the OV?

Welcome back mysterious masked man.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray and Darril are not the only clowns using their real names here. Many others include LinkedIn profiles or connect to other members on LinkedIn, which is about as good as using a real name.

Also, last time I checked, you can actually change your username at any time. It was a long time ago, but I changed mine to my real name after deciding I had no need for anonymity here.

Either way, re-welcome!
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome! I can think of several of us using our real names
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I guess it's not as bad as I thought. I had already requested a name change by contacting the website and they said they could change it for me but now I think I'm good just changing my profile pic. Besides, I'd hate to give up my senior member status and all that reputation I gained.

I think I will keep that new linux certification I earned though.
  • Options
    I don't see a problem using your real name if you're using the forums in a legitimate and elegant way
    which certification gives you the title of a certified god? ;)
  • Options
    It's a tough exam that tests the amount of nerd running though your veins. Many people have tried to braindump that cert and failed trying. The true secret to getting it is to be completely pure of microsoft. That means giving up PC games and going to console games.
  • Options
    lol, seems like you have the Linux flu, just like me.
    although my main computer is not functioning anymore (had debian6 there) I have a laptop with Windows 7 as a replacement.
    must say that Windows 7 is a great OS to be honest, but Linux is just...different. so I can definitely understand your approach ;)
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Welcome back. And screw it, I'm sticking with my real name.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Dolev wrote: »
    lol, seems like you have the Linux flu, just like me.
    although my main computer is not functioning anymore (had debian6 there) I have a laptop with Windows 7 as a replacement.
    must say that Windows 7 is a great OS to be honest, but Linux is just...different. so I can definitely understand your approach ;)

I think the linux flu is the perfect description although I do like Windows 7. All of my computers are old and came with Windows Vista and I'd rather use a licensed copy of Windows if I'm going to use it so I probably won't use Windows until I get a newer/used laptop that comes with Windows 7. Of course I'll still be dual booting with linux.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Welcome back. I didn't start with using my real name but I eventually said "screw it" and linked my LinkedIn on here.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    linuxgod wrote: »
    I just realized after over a year of being on techexams that I'm the only clown here using my real name so I decided to make a new account until further notice. A little about myself.

Oh really?
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I feel out of the loop. Damn.

No one would care about my name, so it shouldn't matter.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You know, if you're really itching to change your username, I'm sure there's a mod or two around that can help you with that. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I think he has changed his mind since the post - he posted under his real nick several times after that :D