Options

Randomly contacted by a well known tech companies recruiter

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
I was contacted randomly at the beginning of last week by a HR rep/recruiter from a well known tech company via Linkedin. At first, I blew off the email because I'm not actively looking for a new job and my current job is relatively close. But after an hour or so of thinking about the recruiters email, I replied back with my phone number. I spoke with the recruiter for about 20 minutes and I was definitely buying what he had to say. There are multiple positions open which require linux/window admin/troubleshooting skills and networking knowledge. But what sold me on the company was: 1. the name of the company would look good on my resume 2. They are the leaders in their field 3. It would be a 15-20k raise 4. Their training would consist of getting one of their certifications, which is pretty hot right now, that alone is worth 2-4k.

After speaking with the recruiter on Monday, I had a high level technical interview with him on Tuesday. I answered roughly 10 out of 16 right. Out of those, I answered 80% of the Linux question and like 20% of the windows troubleshooting questions (I've never messed with 03 server,wins 2000, AD, event viewer, etc). Luckily one of the positions I'm interviewing for deals with mostly Linux. Now I have a low-level technical phone interview with one of their engineers on Tuesday. From what I have read online, if I pass this interview...I'll be invited for the final onsite interview and the job would be mine to lose The recruiter said I should polish up some skills before Tuesday but my soft skills are what separated me from the majority of applicants.

I will be studying heavily on troubleshooting Linux and Windows but the recruiter said to focus on mostly Linux but still study Windows (he provided a document with Linux admin task to look at but nothing for windows).

Can anyone give me a high level list of what to focus on for troubleshooting on server 03, Windows 2000, NT, etc?

Comments

• Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So, VMware, huh? Pretty cool
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    Thanks for ruining the surprise ChooseLife haha. I'm pretty excited about it.
  • Options
    The way you described it left little room for guesswork icon_wink.gif
    I'd say absolutely go for it, but this is an obviously biased opinion :)
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    I knew it! I once had an interview with VMware, got through the first interview with the recruiter and second with a technical engineer. The final step was for the manager to fly down from Colorado but I couldn't wait as I had to leave town.

If your going to be working with the Global Support team, VMware expects you to know Wintel/Unix and they will train you on their products. Good luck.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations! Best of luck on the interview, Yuck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Wisewun,

Thanks for the info. I have intermediate Linux skills, so hopefully I can get past the 2nd interview.

Irish,

Thanks!
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    grats dude good luck!...and boo Oregon! go VT!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Good luck! Did the Junior DBA not work out?
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    That position is still on the table. I didnt apply for this position, I was just contacted by their recruiter on Linkedin.
  • Options
    etbjr182etbjr182 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome news! Any update? What certs/experience do you have? I would love a shot to work for them.
    Currently studying for 70-640 :study:
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same thing happened to me this week, actually. Random e-mail via LinkedIn. I'm not sure if I'll pursue the opportunity, but we'll see. Different company, though.

Anyway, best of luck to you, hope it works out well.
  • Options
    Update:

I had my 2nd technical interview earlier this week, which consisted of 60 questions (2/3 Linux, 1/3 windows/networking). I answered roughly 45 questions correct and received a call back the next day for a final interview after the holidays (1st week of Jan).

Background on myself:
    1.5 years of networking and Linux exp. (6+ years of customer service)
    Network+, CCENT, Linux+/LPIC 1
    4-6 months away from B.S.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't understand the random part when you are soliciting yourself via LinkedIn.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since potential employers have to search for your profile, the word solicitation doesn't make sense here- they're actively seeking out potential candidates. It'd be different if he applied.

Plus, some people, such as myself, primarily use LinkedIn to stay in touch with past co-workers/clients, not to search for job opportunities.
  • Options
    I would have to seconded Mrock4. I have a Linkedin account to stay in touch with old classmates/current and past coworkers/clients.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I have been contacted 3 times on linked in for jobs, one was out of state so i didn't reply back, surprisingly out of no where they i've been getting emails from recruiters

One of them i am really interested in pursing and looks very technical, seems a lot with exchange and active directory i'm excited
  • Options
    Out of the questions I was asked, I can remember the 5-10 questions I got wrong...I was thinking about answering all of those questions and providing them to individuals I will be doing my final interview with (to show I gained the knowledge and also took the time to research the answer). If you were the interviewer, what would you think of a candidate who did the following?
  • Options
    All else being equal, such an individual would get a bonus point from me.

GetCertified4Less
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man! Hopefully good things to come in the new year!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Update:

I was offered the job on Monday but I politely declined today. There were many positives (companies name, pay was 60-65k) but I have worked hard to get out of a call center atmosphere and I can't go back. Overall, their HR rep was very nice and professional..technical interview was 7/10 on the difficulty scale.

On another note, I was contacted for a technical analyst position at a well know information security company. The pay would be a little below then what I make now but it would be a foot in the door towards a security consultant career. But I don't know if I want to stay in a lateral position for another 1-2 years...so I'll see how the interviews go and see from there.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of curiosity, did they not tell you about the call center atmosphere beforehand? If they didnt tell you, not good on them.

Good luck with the next one mate, is security the way you are headed?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    1. I knew it was a technical support role from the beginning but I thought the money would make me want the job...but I just couldn't do it.

2. I have always been interested in security and that's the main reason I'm considering taking a lateral position if offered. Ultimately, I would want to be a Info Assurance Manager/Director or Security consultant so I would have to work from the ground up.