Options

Don't know what to do

I need help, can anyone help me? I'm stuck in a bind

I have been studying for the CCENT, but I am not really sure if i want to do it, i know i'll make good money, but being stuck behind a terminal all day doesn't really excite me anymore especailly after learning cisco commands

I like learning the information, but I guess if i had my CCNA, and some microsoft certs so i can be an all in one network admin it wouldn't be so bad

any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Seek patience. If it doesn't excite you anymore, what's the point of having CCNA? Are you currently employed in IT?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Yeah, I enjoy learning about networking, not sure where to go, I have been at a service desk for a major hospital in Northern californiat for about a year and a half now, kind of want to get off the phones, may go into one of our desktop departments
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    My recommendation: Better to specialize than to be too much of a generalist.

Give the MCSE 2012 a shot. There are some command line things to learn but most of the exams are GUI-based. Since there are not a lot of MCSE 2012's yet and you're in Northern California (technology-hub of California), it should be in demand shortly.

If that doesn't interest you, you could also give virtualization a shot but you'll have to know some Linux commands for that as well.

Good luck!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @gbdavidx - I believe that your overall lack of enthusiasm stems, not from studying for the CCENT but, from possible dissatisfaction with your current job role. My advice is to push yourself to complete the CCENT, and possibly the CCNA, and look for a different role either in your organization or elsewhere.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    lol, yeah im not to happy about where im at, it pays ok, but its boring

Every time i hear someone say they forgot their p/w i cringe
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    lol, yeah im not to happy about where im at, it pays ok, but its boring

Every time i hear someone say they forgot their p/w i cringe

So thinking outside the box, why not look into some sort of remote self help password reset tool so you dont have to do them. Write the proposal and offer it to your boss. Show some expected cost estimates including man hours to impliment and then show how over X number of years the ROI will pay for itself by allocating your time to better spent tasks.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take Nemowolf advice. Do this on your own and just send it to your boss. This will look great on your part :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you don't like it you don't like it. Of course what's the difference between sitting behind a terminal or some GUI screen all day?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think a big misconception is that it's certifications that earn IT professionals great salaries. It's not. It's people who are great at their job, who happen to have certifications.

So that being said, you will not be great at your job if you don't want to do it- so a CCENT will therefore not earn you a great salary. Even if it did, who cares? I'd rather take a paycut than be miserable and make 150% of the salary that I make now.

If you really like technology, as others have wisely suggested, I'd try to move into another area of IT. It's easy to get bogged down and develop a horrible view of IT..resenting customers, and thinking that you've made a mistake. So if you really want to be in IT..change jobs, and fast. My $.02.