Options

Can OSPF manage a bigger network because of its hierarchical structure?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
Is it fair to say each single OSPF area can manage up to the same size a network as independent AS in EIGRP does? Then it seems like a multi-area OSPF can manage much bigger a network than EIGRP! Multiple connected EIGPR ASs are not comparable since the external AD is 170.

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    it depends on the design, OSPF is preferred in Larger networks due to it being a Link state and having an entire topology map unlike EIGRP. Also if you do have the EIGRP design with external AS'es you can always change the AD, but I would just use BGP to go in and out of the AS's. OSPF's draw backs are that everything has to connect to the backbone in which some designs like ISP's can cause some problems. ISIS allows you to keep building and building on top of the topology. All in all it depends on the design, and networks are never really designed just pieced together.

To answer your question it just depends, on the design, how many links each one has, and how many routers.

Disclaimer. I have been out of the WAN business for about 3 years so something I said maybe a tad bit off :)
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related