Options

Jobs now and days

I am 18 years old, currently working on getting my A+, Network + certifications. I was wonderig if having these two certifications will help me land a help desk job.
  • I also have stretched ears at about 1/2 inch, smaller than a dime, will having stretch ears largely impact me landing a hob in the IT field? (I dont wear plugs anymore)
  • I was also wondering how long it took you all to get 1st job in IT after getting certs, or graduating from school.
  • Should I get other certifications after A+ and Network + right away or should I wait until i have stepped my way into the IT workplace?
Please respond?

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, first things first..welcome to TE.

Your first question- will A+ and Net+ certs help gain employment in a help desk setting? Well..they will certainly not hurt. I'd shoot for an MS cert for good measure- but you should be able to land an entry-level gig. Don't stop there though.

Now, in a nutshell, will your appearance hurt your job prospects? If I were interviewing you, and you showed a willingness to learn, seemed reliable, and generally a good guy..then no, it would not. Will someone else discriminate based on your ears alone? Maybe, maybe not.

My $.02 would be to forget about it, and keep pressing until you find a job. Don't dwell on what could hold you back, but instead focus on things that could put you over the top into a position (such as more certs, more education, etc).
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the certifications may indeed help you get your first IT job.
    many people have did not need any certs for their first IT job and others needed all the help they can get.
    but they will definitely help.

also consider internships. even if they are unpaid.
    i was lucky enough to get a job with no certs simply because I had experience as a unpaid intern for 3 months

your appearance may or may not have a negative effect on you getting the job. that would depend on the employer.
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    Thank you both for your responses. It actually helped out a lot, because I have just starting working on certs, and looking into possible entry level jobs. I didn't know wither I should stack up on certifications then look for job, or work on certifications while I am currently working. Have you all ever seen anyone with stretch ears, or any other forms of body modification at your workplace? I defiantly plan on working on those MS certs, and Cisco certs. My main focus is networking.

Are there other entry level jobs besides helpdesk?
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Well on the subject of stretched ears I guess I would look at it this way...if it was an accessory I could take on and off at will ( I realize its not ) it would certainly not be something I would wear to my interview. So take what you will from that...and on a side note, there is some funny looking people that work in IT and a lot of them have not done any intention body alterations...icon_eek.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    TechZillaTechZilla Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly all of us are pretty funny looking. If people are discriminating then you don't want to work for them anyway. As for getting your first gig, I worked for a board level repair shop in high school and right after I graduated went to work for a fortune 500 companies Help Desk. I got in with no certs and just based on a simple interview test. I've been here for 3 years and moved up to Jr Sysadmin. I'm now focusing hard on certifications. I think it all depends on your connections and motivation. I would think you having both A+ and N+ would greatly help you in getting your first gig, but I don't think you need to wait until you have them to start looking for a job.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For now I'd stay working on those certifications.

As for the stretched ears I'd take out the gauges before an interview. I've had my ears stretched for about 5 years now and am currently in a manager role. Before my interview I forgot to take my gauges out - they didn't even notice it.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dude, srsly? I look like a hot mess. As they say - It's the motion of the ocean. But I don't think that saying applies to this thread... (yet?)

Certifications will help make the interviewer feel more comfortable to hire you. Atleast you've shown that you're capable of learning answers to a test! I mean, really, that's all anyone can say for sure. Whether you actually know the stuff on the exam, and willing to do more than what the exam is - that's where you'll get hired.

Atleast my boss, hired me because I had my Net+ and A+.

Now the motion of the ocean comes into play! Because it's if you can prove your worth to the interviewer(s) that you can do the job / capable to learning, you're golden.

Welcome to TE. I'm sure you'll find this forum an excellent source of information, motivation, and industry knowledge! icon_cheers.gif
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    For now I'd stay working on those certifications.

As for the stretched ears I'd take out the gauges before an interview. I've had my ears stretched for about 5 years now and am currently in a manager role. Before my interview I forgot to take my gauges out - they didn't even notice it.

Honestly, that might have worked in your favor. I have seen a couple of my friends without their plugs in and it looks... weird. I'm sure there are some plugs that are better than others too. I mean if they are rasta colors and have weed leaves on them, then obviously no, but I am sure with the amount of people that would be entering or new to the workforce with gauged ears, I'm sure someone is making some stylish, more professional options. OP, I would definitely have some friends/family give you an honest opinion of what you look like without them first. Also, I heard you can actually superglue your ear back together and it will eventually mend. I have only heard this, never actually looked into though because my ears aren't done.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    There may not be an overt reaction to your ears, but depending on who is interviewing you they MAY have an impact; generally younger people care less about such things.

When I have hired for help desk positions I looked for a basic level of competency, the ability/willingness to learn and personality. Your desire to get the certifications address the first two issues and based on what I can read into a couple of posts on a message board says doesn't raise any red flags on the personality front - I think you'll be fine.

As for other entry level jobs, yes there are some, but they can be tough to get and may just be a variation on help desk (desktop support). Help desk can be tough, but it can also be a great learning opportunity.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think if you're looking for a help desk gig, Network+ and A+ are a good start, a desktop MS cert wouldn't hurt.
    As for your ears, I had my ears up to 9/16" and never had an issue. I know my **** though, so it didn't really matter. (Also, not client facing. When I was client facing, I was at 00g and I have multiple visible tattoos)
    My first IT job was acquired while I was still in school (~9 months into my degree) I ended up dropping out after getting the job. I wasn't aware of certs until I started working there.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll voice the alternate opinion that, while you definitely should be working on certifications (and yes, an MS cert is going to be important for you), I wouldn't procrastinate on finding a job or internship in a real company, so that 1) you can get used to being in a helpdesk environment where your decisions can impact things upstream; and 2) when you're entry level, any experience is good experience, and will differentiate you from other young guys who are fresh out of school or with a stack of certs, but no job experience, when it comes time to land a job in the future. Certs are part of the equation, and will help you get interviews, but nothing trumps verifiable hands-on experience. You should be able to work on both.

Are you working on your certs as part of a degree program, or just sort of striking out on your own?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    I am working in a certificate program at school. I already taken CCENT class, and a A+ class in high school. so I am still knowledgeable of these, if i studied i may be able to pass the two exams to achieve my certification. Plus im just a computer nerd who just studies random computer topics just for fun. But i am taking classes to get hands on experiences and to freshen up on subjects. IF YOU TAKE CLASS, YOU GET GREAT DEAL ON TEST VOUCHERS FROM SCHOOL

Here are the classes I am taking (1st semester)
    CPW--Network Administrator

and when you all say MS certs you mean something such as the MSCA?