Options

What do you do in this situation?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
So......

Let's say you take a position for 6 months and move onto another position. More pay, better title, etc etc etc. Then a few months later another position comes along even more pay 15%+ and title etc. Then a few months later it happens again and then once again.

How do you handle those situations? Do you finally hit the breaks and say enough is enough due to running the risk of looking like a hopper or do you go with the opportunities and continue to increase you pay, responsibilities, title, experience, etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I wouldn't keep hoping from job to job, but I also wouldn't pass up an opportunity to move up either. Just make sure you aren't taking a bunch of jobs that look like lateral moves.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it's all at the same company then it's a none issue. Now if you're jumping company to company you'll have to explain a lot.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    N2IT wrote: »
    How do you handle those situations?

Is "offer the job to a TE buddy" a valid answer? :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Job hopping is a term that's pretty much outdated. As long as you can justify why you left in the interviews (Don't ever say for the money) nobody really cares. We're a generation of nomads in the workforce who are looking for the right fit company wise not just taking any crap that comes along and holding onto it for 50 years. Everyone including your interviewee is looking for a better off at almost all points of there career. Don't be ungrateful and don't leave on bad terms those are your future references which are more important than how many jobs you had.

Why someone would pass up a better opportunity because you may or may not be seen potentially at some point in the future.........you get my drift.

In 3 years compare your progress to your buddies who sat around in the same companies and get back to us.
  • Options
    Why not tell them you left for more money? I'd rather an honest answer than some BS. It's human nature to want to do better for yourself/your family. Why hide it?
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Why not tell them you left for more money? I'd rather an honest answer than some BS. It's human nature to want to do better for yourself/your family. Why hide it?

I believe the correct phrase is "More responsibility." I wouldn't say I left a job for money because that is usually a given. I moved because the position gave me more opportunity and more responsibility, providing growth and development. I think everyone knows that money is a factor, so why risk sounding greedy by saying it out loud? You are not hiding anything when the fact is obvious and not stated.
  • Options
    Why risk sounding like you are BSing to cover up something they probably already know and can relate to anyway?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Networker: LOL There is truth in that statement.

@N2IT: As long as you are moving upward I don't see why there would be any questions. Your attitude which appears humble makes me think your references are probably good. If that's the case than I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I will be honest; my IT career has not been founded on pay yet. I am so new to the game, that I have honestly accepted every position I have had due to potential for responsibility and growth. That said, all of my positions have been step-ups from the previous pay and it is a factor in my decision. However, with my age, lack of a family, and lack of experience, money is not at the top of the list for me. If asked, I have no issues letting an interviewer know that pay factored into the decision, but I don't see any benefit from throwing it out there just to have it in the open. I wouldn't say to lie either though. If pay is the only reason you moved, then there is no getting around that fact.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□

Because there will always be more money somewhere else. If the deciding factor for a new role is constantly money it works against you as you progress in your career. IT circles are much smaller than people think a resume that shows a progression in roles is the key.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    Because there will always be more money somewhere else. If the deciding factor for a new role is constantly money it works against you as you progress in your career. IT circles are much smaller than people think a resume that shows a progression in roles is the key.

Seriously. If you left three positions because someone offered more money, then they know that your going to leave them in six months when another recruiter is going to offer more money too. Why would they hire you with the impression that your not going to have any loyalty to them at all. Be honest that more money opened the door but only opened it, there has to be other factors that contribute to your move like shorter commute, more flexible work schedule, playing with certain technologies, etc. It doesnt need to be much to explain that cutting your commute in half and a small increase in pay is enough to be an acceptable answer.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I agree with Nemowolf, you need to pick your battles. If you keep switching (albeit for good reasons like more responsibility, exposure) it can give a impression that you may be doing so for money or that you are not reliable. In todays's environment where getting approvals for hiring is becomming more and more complicated it may lead to questions on how long the resource will remain in the role before something better comes along.
    Dont get me wrong, if you can prove that you are a critical resource your company should be worried about you moving out and will work with you to move into the roles that you want and train you.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]