Options

How long for your MCSE???

I had a talk with "The Man" today about the certifications I was thinking about taking. I took from the meeting is that I would benefit most by having my MCSE next above other certifications. So, Im 99% sure plans have changed.

Im trying to set in stone what is next, and I need to find out generall how long MCSE is going to take to accomplish. Approximately, how long did it take you to achieve your MCSE?

Comments

• Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    I would say "how long is a piece of string?"

It depends on time commitments to doing the exams and studying for them, i was hoping to do an MCP a month but have taken about 2-3 months each as i have to work 40h+ a week and rarley get time to myself, ive given my self to end of this year to be MCSA and MCSE by next summer.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Depends, if you simply want to memorize every book and prep test, then people got it done in less time but if you really want to know things and figure it out the hard way 6-12 months.
    What next?
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did it in 28 months. That included doing everything in my own lab and reading the material while working and going to school.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    I'm with RobsonGTO, I was originally planning to blow through all the exams as fast as possible, but it's not doable with a full time job, a wife, and some semblance of a social life. My goal for end of this year is MCSA, as I have already completed 270 and 290, leaving me with just 291. I have books and documentation and no more excuses. My New Years resolution will be to complete MCSE by the summer. Then I can relax a bit and wait for the Vista upgrade exams to come out.

It doesn't seem like it for something as silly as a Microsoft certification, but it really requires a serious commitment and a lifestyle change to pull it off. But there is nothing like the sense of accomplishment gained from busting your ass and seeing the "Congratulations!" after you click on "Finish" (and then waiting 10 minutes for your score to be tallied;)).
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's taken me 12 months to get my MCSA in windows 2000. So I think for me another year will get me my MCSE. I'm also doing other exams in between though. But I've seen people do it all in less than 12 months.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think it varies, just like any other cert. There those of us who are just starting out, never having touched a server before, and there are those who have been working with Microsoft networking since before there was MCSE to shoot for. And, of course, it all depends on how many hours per day, days per week, (and gray hairs,) you're willing to commit to. I've also found that the level of stress in your life at the time impacts the retention of what I'm learning. (It's hard to set up IAS properly when you're in the middle of a break-up, for example.)

The breakdown follows something like this. . . loosely:
    If you've been working as a network admin for years and years, if you've got plenty of experience or work as a Windows Server admin, or even if you're coming from another type of admin-background, (like Linux/Unix, Novell, etc. . .) then it's not going to be such an ordeal. You might do it in a year, you might just have to read and take a test each month, you might just laugh and schedule all the tests in a day, who knows. ("What are you doing this weekend?". . . "Oh, I don't know. Maybe I'll get MCSE certified, then go drinking." ) Sorry, couldn't resist. I know someone who did this with another cert. . . that bastard.

If you're just starting out, though, it's a different ballgame. If you're shooting for MCSA/MCSE and you've never really worked with this material before, you're really climbing a mountain. You not only have to learn how everything works, how everything is supposed to work, but also how Microsoft wants it to work. Especially if you're like me, and you have a lot of other things, (like college, work, other obsessions,) and you're learning this as a greenhorn, it's going to take quite a while. Then again, that's not such a bad thing, if it means that you've earned that MCSE and you can go out into the job-market and do just about anything any employer would ask of you. It also means that you've got those "x number of years" experience employers ask for.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    magikratmagikrat Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm one who is coming from the perspective of basically studying this stuff 6-8 hours a day. I started on August 8th opening my A+ book and I have passed A+(2), Network+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, failed 70-291 once and I'm taking Security+ this week and 70-293 probably at the end of next (put off the Security+ for the holidays). I'm looking at MCSE being finished by middle of January. So almost 6 months doing it practically full time. I have alot of IT experience in the AS400 world, so I didn't come into it as a complete novice.

If that's any help...
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    It took me a little over 1 year to get my MCSE:Security 2003. This was because I worked at an IT bootcamp/test center and all my testing & classes were free and I had access to as much lab equipment as I wanted. I was able to test most anytime I felt like it as long as one of my co-workers was there to proctor the exam.
  • Options
    nqt_1976nqt_1976 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do my A+ in a week, and 270 in a week. guess other will take same time. since I use computer since 1995 until now anh spend alot of time on them.
    I think depend on experence.
  • Options
    Spot1963Spot1963 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It all depends on how much (spare) time you can put into it.

I started with my fist exam on December 16th and the last exam (number 7) was on April 28th.

I still have 8 exams planned which will keep me busy till the end of the year, by then I should be MCSE + Messaging + Security. (in addition to being MCP, MCDST, MCDBA, MCSA)

If I have some extra time I might go for some extra exams to get MCAD & MCSD certification.
    MCP / MCDST / MCSA+M
    Passed the : 70-228 / 70-229 / 70-270 / 70-271 / 70-272 / 70-284 / 70-290 / 70-291
    Next to do : 70-350 / 70-293 / 70-299 / 70-294 / 70-297 / 70-285 / 70-298
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Spot1963 wrote:
    It all depends on how much (spare) time you can put into it.

I started with my fist exam on December 16th and the last exam (number 7) was on April 28th.

I still have 8 exams planned which will keep me busy till the end of the year, by then I should be MCSE + Messaging + Security. (in addition to being MCP, MCDST, MCDBA, MCSA)

If I have some extra time I might go for some extra exams to get MCAD & MCSD certification.

You already achieved MCDBA if you passed 228, 229, 290.

Back to topic. It's taken me 3 months to get my MCSA. I need another 2 months for my MCSE.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    Spot1963Spot1963 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Olajuwon wrote:

Nope, still need 70-293 to get MCDBA. (which I need anyway to get MCSE)
    MCP / MCDST / MCSA+M
    Passed the : 70-228 / 70-229 / 70-270 / 70-271 / 70-272 / 70-284 / 70-290 / 70-291
    Next to do : 70-350 / 70-293 / 70-299 / 70-294 / 70-297 / 70-285 / 70-298
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Spot1963 wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:

Nope, still need 70-293 to get MCDBA. (which I need anyway to get MCSE)

I overlooked the elective, you're right.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"