Options

EIGRP variance command

gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys! Got a question for you...

I understand that EIGRP supports unequal load balancing, up to 6 links, and I believe that this is established by using the variance command, but how exactly is this done? It just seems too simple to just type in "variance 2" on the interface and poof!... unequal load balancing! Anyone know how this is done and when it would be good to implement?
Goals for 2015: CCNP

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The variance is a multiplier. So what ever the metric is for your successor you multiply that by the variance and what ever feasible successors fall into that range will be used for load balancing.

Personally I'd never use unequal load balancing in the real world.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, so it's just a multipler for the feasible distance of the successor route. Cool. Thanks for the information networker.

In case you had to use it, is there a way to specify HOW MUCH of the load you would want your feasible successor to manage? IDK if this is too deep for the CCNA but I didn't see any literature on it...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hmm, I don't think there is a way to tweak the algorithm used for traffic share. It basically does a ratio based on the costs. This ratio is then used in the forwarding table when selecting next hops for forwarding.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.