Options

Job Dilemma

dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys and gals just wanted to get your opinion on what I should do. Right now I am working a tier 1 tech support gig basically doing 90% Help Desk Work over the phone and remote assists and 10% Desktop Support Work. I absolutely love my job but the career ceiling is very limited since the company does not consider technology a priority and we are a very small dept so I would have to wait for someone to leave before I could get promoted, I have been working here for 9 months.

I just interviewed twice for a system technician position at a different company (still considered tier 1 at this company), however, this is for a company where technology is at the forefront. I would also get to work with servers, virtual machines, AD and everything else I am not getting with my current company. This position also comes with a 20% raise, more time off, and they actually pay for and encourage IT certifications. I have just one problem, the President of this new company that I interviewed at said the job is yours as long as you can get your current employer to be ok with it. My current employer is a client of the company I want to work for. Mind you I found this job on my own accord it's not like I had a contact there that I emailed back and forth all the time.

I'm kind of wondering how I should approach this. To make matters more difficult if I left my current company that would put them 2 men down on a 4 person support team (3 tier 1 people 1 tier 2 person and I would be the 2nd tier 1 person to leave). The tier 1 position has been open now for 5 months and we are managing fine so not sure how willing they are to fill this position. Also I dislike having to talk to my boss about leaving my position as I dont want to be burned and end up without a job, because if my current company is OK with me leaving the other company's President wants to talk it over with my boss and his boss just to make sure they are indeed OK with it. The new company would also be willing to give my current company 6-8 weeks to fill my position before I left as well. Me and my boss have a great relationship and he has nothing but great things to say about me, just not sure how he would react to something like this. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.
WGU - B.S. Information Technology
Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Wow, that is indeed a bit of a pickle...

In my opinion, any supervisor worth their salt is going to be happy for you that you found something more fulfilling They wont be happy to lose a good technician, and won' be happy about having t fill the position and train someone again, but if your relationship with your boss is as good as you say it is, I say go for it. At the end of the day, you have to look out for what's best for YOU. Explain your concerns with the limited advancement potential you have at your current job to your boss, and hopefully he can see that this is a great opportunity for you that you shouldn't pass up.

Good luck!
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll second what the above poster said. Another bit of advice - NEVER accept a counter offer. You are not gettng what you want in the current role and nothing should keep you from moving. No matter how good your terms are with the current boss, you dont want him to be the limiting factor in your career. Do what YOU want and what is good for YOU and your family.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So forgot to post back here, I actually ended up getting the job! My boss was happy for me and glad to see me get another opportunity to further my career. Granted he didnt want to lose a good employee but he also understood that they couldnt really give me what i want either.
    WGU - B.S. Information Technology
    Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Glad everything worked out. Best of luck in the new gig.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Glad everything worked out! I didn't see this post until now (been crazy busy) but I'm glad it all worked out!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, grab this opportunity to learn as much as you can!
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”