Options

New

Nik00117Nik00117 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello i'm 16 years old and looking to become a A+ cert in hardware, os, and networking, mainly hardware first. I've built my own comptuer from top to bottom and have a real passion for computers. I think as I get older (college age) i'd like to take coures in computer sci and such. I was wondering on the costs, and so on of getting a A+ in hardware. I'd like to open up a small business putting computers toghter and feel to do this i'd need to have proof tha tI know what i'm doing. So if anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great. My parents are supporting me in the fact that I want to get this cert so I got their support thank you.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Hello Nik00117,

First, welcome to the site :)

Regarding A+ Hardware certification... it really is a whole package thing requiring two tests. One in Core (hardware) and one in OS. After succefully completeing the two tests, you will be A+ Certified :)

The place I'd start is at CompTIA and download a copy of the objectives for the A+ exam. Some read through those and then decided where your time will best be spent preparing.

Exam costs vary from Country to Country, but you may determine your costs (unless you also use a test voucher...we have a link on this site ;) ) by going to either Vue or Prometric websites to 1. find one close to you (some areas only have one testing center others have both). 2. see what the exam costs. Again, A+ will be 2 exams so each exam should be about the same price, but you'll need to register for each exam separately.

Some people like to take the exams days/weeks apart. I took mine the back-to-back on the same day (as have others on this site). I recommend that method. However, do what YOU are most comfortable with. You will not be A+ certified until after passing your second exam.

I like Mike Meyers All-In-ONE exam book. I highly recommend this book especially if you are only purchasing 1 book.

Otherwise, any questions you may have regarding specific areas of the exam objectives....please post a thread here in the A+ forums and we'll do our best to help you out.

HTH :D
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Nik00117Nik00117 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Buying the book tomorrow. And other good books?
  • Options
    scot_doneckerscot_donecker Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just accomplished getting my A+ certification a week ago. I suggest HP IT Essentials I: PC Hardware and Software Companion Guide. The Mike Myers books are really exceptional, but if your looking for a shorter read, and don't mind it sounding like a bunch of tech manual stuff, then I suggest the HP book. I took a class at my local Junior College (by the way I'm 19) last semester called IT Essentials I, and this is the book we used in class.

I suggest you take a class like I did, because reading a technical book really wont help you memorize things, and it also gets quite manotanous (boring). I know here at my high school I had a choice to take classes at the junior college while takeing my high school classes, and if you have a junior college where you live, I'm sure you could too. But trust me find something other than just a book, because it will seriously suck trying to read all the material covered within it and retain it all at the same time. Besides with taking a class for it, you can get some hands on experience with all the hadware and operating systems, and it will help you better memorize the material as well as relate to it.

p.s. If you don't have a junior college near you, or they don't have a class for learning the stuff needed for the A+ exams, then maybe you could try buying some videos or something like that. Seeing whats going on and hearing it being talked about out loud will help you memorize things a whole lot easier.

Hope this helps.
    "If the answer was never to look to yourself, then how can you expect to find it anywhere else" -Eyedea
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    For A+, that (IMO) is all you will need (plus experience).

Sybex is another series consistantly VERY GOOD, so you could cross-reference with theirs.

Otherwise, consider Bigelow's Troubleshooting, Maintaining, Repairing PC's or Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PC's. These will not cover 'test' specific material, but I find them good at helping explain things to new people.

Check Amazon or Alibiris.com for availablity. MS Press books are nice on OS's as well as the MS site. Good idea to get familar with the MS site as early in your career as possible. Some complain about the site, but I find it has very good information....ONCE you are comfortable searching it.

Microsoft MVP's have excellent sites as well http://www.mvps.org/

These are people who MS has recognized as being helpful/fortcoming with tips/suggestions explanations about how to use specific areas of the OS and other MS Applications.

I've listed some of these 'other' sources, because I like to have more specific information then merely the specific certification requirement. Knowing more will give you a leg up on your competition (as will patience and practice ;).

Enjoy your new book!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I too think that the All-In-One is the best. Be sure that you get the Fifth edition. It's the most recent, but there may be a copy of the fourth on the shelf somewhere, so take care.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki