Options

What to do next?

Xch4ng3Xch4ng3 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I finished my CompTIA Strata a few weeks ago and I have no idea what to do next. Ideally I want to do something with security but providing technical support would be desirable too. Mostly looking to do a course which will get me a job as soon as possible so happy to do multiple courses to work my way up.

I've been looking at CompTIA Security+ but from what I hear, that alone is not enough to stand out. Original plan was to do CCENT & then my CCNA but the CCENT isn't favourable to my job search so I want to do something that will let me get a job as soon as possible and then work up.

Also, I should mention I found the CompTIA Strata easy as hell. I was able to finish the course within 1 week of going over one book.

I'm from the UK, London region if that helps. Any advice & links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    You found the test easy as hell because it is. Strata is the equivalent of a high school end-of-course exam on Information Technology. In fact, once you have a couple certs under your belt, I would highly discourage even listing it on your resume. I'd say CCNA over Security+. The truth is, unless you are trying for a low end 8570 government job (even these are getting harder to come by), security+ is not going to get you anywhere because there aren't many (if any) starting positions in information security. Entry level techs with CCNA have a much better chance of getting a foot in the door.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hutch is right on the money. CCNA is still unrivaled for entry - mid level certifications. This will immediately give you the opportunity to learn a lot of useful information and give you a serious leg up in the networking world. You could move into a decent paying NOC position. It's low visibility which isn't all that great but the skills you can learn and apply could provide to be useful as you advance throughout your career.

Eventually this will even die off but right now Cisco and/or Juniper are solid certifications to hold.
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    CCNA/CCNA Security might be a good choice.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Hutch is right on the money. CCNA is still unrivaled for entry - mid level certifications. This will immediately give you the opportunity to learn a lot of useful information and give you a serious leg up in the networking world. You could move into a decent paying NOC position. It's low visibility which isn't all that great but the skills you can learn and apply could provide to be useful as you advance throughout your career.

Eventually this will even die off but right now Cisco and/or Juniper are solid certifications to hold.

If you don't mind me asking. What is your reasoning for this?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everything trends up and down, it's the natural progression of supply and demand. In the 90's MCSE's were the talk of the town. If you had one you could get a signing bonus and a nice salary. In fact the demand was so high at one time they were giving signing bonuses to others for referrals and these bonuses where in the thousands.

Now it's a nice cert to hold but doesn't have quite the punch it once did. The NA will eventually join the ranks due to more CCNA holders than jobs required. It's basic supply and demand. Eventually Vitualization and other newer technologies will take the place of the older (legacy) certifications.

I remember HP-UX certifications at one time had value. Not so much anymore. Some will evolve (I believe Cisco is focusing on virtual technologies) others will not. My point being change is going to happen whether you or I like it.
  • Options
    Xch4ng3Xch4ng3 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CNNA - how newbie friendly would say it is? I know just the basics about networking (OSI model / protocols etc). Would it be more advisable to someone quiet new to networking to do the CNNA in one go or split it over CCENT & CCNA for two certs?

Thanks for the help again, greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Get a self-study program (preferably with simulations) and start looking over the content. If in doubt...split it up.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is it best to take Network+ before you diving in to Cisco to get the basics of networking of do you just go in to Cisco?
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I would recommend it, theres tons of overlap
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    I would recommend it, theres tons of overlap

You recommend moving on to Cisco or taking Net+ then Cisco?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to disagree. Start with the CCENT and then go on to the CCNA. The Network+ doesn't add that much value.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would think Microsoft certs dealing with desktop support and CompTIA certs dealing with general networking would be more beneficial for somebody that has no work experience in IT.
  • Options
    I have to disagree. Start with the CCENT and then go on to the CCNA. The Network+ doesn't add that much value.

This is what I was looking for. I've heard this before. Thank you.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would do N+, CCENT, and then CCNA. After that I would do a Microsoft cert for Windows 7.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCENT is not that much worse than the Network+. Believe me. I wish I had started with the CCENT instead of the Network+.