Which Certification Next?

Should I go multiple NP level on Cisco? CCNP Security looks really straight forward, I only need 1 test for CCDP. Should I head into some F5, I have Fortinet experience I could get certified in that as well. I could branch out and go for Juniper JNCIA, cheap and easy after learning juniper specifics. What do you guys think I should go for, its more of a hobby at this point than a professional requirement. I really enjoy certs and the process.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Certification wise I don't seem much ROI of your time going for anything but Cisco or Juniper. While the others are good technologies to learn and be skilled with, the certifications aren't very sought after in the industry.

JNCIA would be an easy ramp up into the Juniper world. If you stay on the Cisco track why not start going toward the CCIE?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Every time I start studying for the CCIE I tell myself, this is it, no stopping. Then I'll make it through a subject like MPLS, lab it, live it, love it but my attention gets pulled away. I'm just not ready to commit myself to that exam yet, maybe in a few more years. As far as ROI, i'm not worried about it. As long as I'm learning something and having fun then it really doesn't matter. The more you love what you do the more money you will eventually make. The more you study, learn and grow in your industry success is bound to follow. I have some free time this week, i'll try getting a 10.1 olive running again and see where that takes me.
    I know exactly what you are talking about with the CCIE. Started a bunch of times myself. Life or lack of motivation always seem to get in the way. Maybe someday.

I understand learning all you can, but if you are going to spend your time on getting certified why not spend the time on something that is actually going to do something for you career wise?
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    ARCH ? CCNP+CCDP sounds really cool~!
    it's jus one more exam to go....... & would give motivations for CCIE :)
    How would getting a CCNP Security be better than an F5 cert? How do you quantify that for a specific person? I have interviewed many alphabet soup candidates and while I am in that same boat, the only ones that stood out were the ones that could answer complex questions. I like getting certifications to learn stuff, try stuff I otherwise wouldn't have worked through or setup. If I were to spend my time only focusing on current career advancing opportunities I would focus like a ford on BGP and IPv6, and that's about it. Everyone is different, our pursuits are all different and so are our motivations.
    I am strongly considering that Jay, just for the fact it wont cost me a grand lol.
    It would be 'better' because it is more recognized and sought after in the industry and therefore would be more helpful with your career.

I really don't agree with the approach of learning via certification though there are always some areas you may not use in your specific role. I think it kind of defeats the whole purpose of certifications and only goes to devalue the certification when inexperienced people just read a book and pass an exam. IMO certifications are there for certifying your knowledge and experience with a technology. Not a learning process.

That's my $.02 on the subject.
    I didn't know I was inexperienced and devaluing certs.....
    I never said you were. Cheer up and don't take everything so personal. It's Christmas eve after all. :D
  • JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    i know a HCIE (highest R&S exam from Huawei)

he likes niche certificates (Huawei, HP, Apple, RH etc.)

he once told that CCIE shd hav been the route he went... Although he has been high demend since he went for niche ones(he has to travel & travel a lot.....)
    Cisco is still king for being recognized & respected...

yep, u already done CCDA, why not ARCH ? :)