Options

VSP vs. CCNA

DimadooDimadoo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I hope this question isn't too annoying.
I have been doing some research on certifications. I know they'll help me out in the long run for my career.
I have a Bachelors in Computer Networking. I had quite a few classes for the CCNA while I was in school, but that was back in 2009, so I am rusty (and very intimidated by the test).
I see that Virtualization is getting pretty big these days and from what I am perceiving it isn't going away anytime soon.
I want to stop doing research on which cert I should go for and start studying for the right cert.
Just wondering you guy's take on situation.
Thanks in advance.icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    VSP is not a certification you can just go for. You need to be registered with a VMWare Partner in order to gain this certification (which is a small online course with a few slides and a 10 or so question test afterwards). So I got the impression you got the wrong cert there :) VSP - VMware Sales Professional .. so I assume you are rather after the VCP (VMware Certified Professional) ?

Either way - you should go for a cert of a topic you enjoy. If its networking - by all means go for the CCNA - if virtualization is what you enjoy / like - then sure, go for the VCP ...

You shouldn't go for virtualization because "it is big these days" - you need to choose a path of a topic you like / love as each certification requires the candidate to love the topic to excell in it .. you won't if you go for it just because its currently "big".
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    CCNA seems most easily attainable of the two. The VSP or VTSP won't get a job for you. It's only a sales/technical sales cert that gets you familiar with the product line. It's mostly geared for VMware Partners, Sales Managers or Presales Engineers. VSP/VTSP will never be listed as a prerequisite for a job. Now the VCP (VCP5) on the other hand is a hot cert, but requires a 5-day course to sit the exam. Most guys that are Data Center, VM, Storage guys make pretty good salaries - they also generally have lots of work experience.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    MeatCatalogueMeatCatalogue Member Posts: 145
    Neither one is difficult to attain. However as others have stated, VCP is more difficult because it does require a course which costs lots o money. CCNA on the other hand you can just study, use router sims and pass the exam. I can tell you that a CCNA is probably going to be easy for you to get if you have a bachelor's in networking, so don't be intimidated. All you'll have to learn is the cisco side of it which are the trunking/vlans and CLI. No small feat but it can be done without any money down.

As for salaries I cannot tell you what a vmware VCP makes but I think more than a CCNA. All of this is extremely relative. Some jobs for $80k say "CCNA required along with 5 years sys admin experience" while someone looking to just manage Vsphere may make only $50k. Pay is all based on level of responsibility.

Don't put a ton of stock into certs, either. I realize what website we're on here but keep in mind that most companies will grill you for a long time with technical questions. I recently interviewed for a position and one of my competitors with a 6 month old CCNA came out of his interview and told me he didn't know what SONET was and that it took him a while to remember the command to show a router's uptime (sh version, btw). Both questions I got correct and I haven't been cisco certified in 8 years. These are simple and easy questions but if a CCNA doesn't know them it shows the value of a certification, sometimes.

I guess my point is - CCNA is not as daunting as it looks. Beg borrow or steal some router sims, know the CLI backwards and forwards and you'll be good. When people ask me how I stay up with new technologies I say I become certified. Whether you forget simple commands 6 months later is another matter, but at least it proves you knew it at one time. Knowing it in an interview is very important however. I presume you already know how to subnet and supernet and have the ability to memorize vast quantities of information if you have a BS already. If so, CCNA won't be that much work, honestly.

Good luck!