Options

video hosting server

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Any suggestions for streaming video via a web server.

I want the server to display a list of video file on the server and allow play back through the web browser.

Video on server are various format so is there any way to transcode server side to standardised formate that all clients would be able to view?

The server already runs apache so running on the back of this would be ideal.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    TBev0TBev0 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you had a look at subsonic? its a 2min install with apache already running. plays/streams videos using flash though, so wont work on ipads..
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use Subsonic and i absolutely love it. You Server has to have some decent hardware tho if you want to stream HD stuff. Subsonic also plays pretty much any of your most common formats and streams it just fine. Plus there are apps for android and IOS. plus it does music too.

They have like a 30 day trial license and then i think its like $10 for a fully licensed copy of it.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I had messed around with something that was kind of a YouTube clone... it was free, and I can't remember the name of it now. It used some open source encoding software on the server that handled every video format I threw at it.

I know Drupal has some modules that may do it too.

Of course I also have to plug the MS way... Windows Media Services, IIS Media Services, or Windows Azure Media Services.
  • Options
    a raspberry pi ;) so no HD streaming i don't think, it will also only be streaming to a max of 2 clients at once.

ipad support is important so subsonic sounds good. pity everyone cant rember the name of the youtube clone.

Cheers
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TBev0TBev0 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just want to clarify there are apps for subsonic on the ios devices however the apps will only stream audio and not video, link below:

iPhone Video Streaming? - iSub Music Streamer

From a pc however, you are able to stream video through a browser and as i mentioned previously this works using flash much like youtube so it wont work on an ipad im afraid.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    TBev0 wrote: »
    as i mentioned previously this works using flash much like youtube so it wont work on an ipad im afraid.

Or Android, as they do not support flash for 4.X and up. You can sideload a flash.apk or install it from an sd card through. I am sure apple has a similar work around somewhere out there.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've started playing with Plex specifically for mobile streaming like this, it can be accessed via http (with transcoding on the server, user configurable settings) or with the mobile app. The PC server component is free and the Android App was $5 when I picked it up. It works pretty well so far, transcoding full bit-rate 1080p blu-ray rips (my own, just remuxed into MKV without media conversion) to 4mbps 720p H264 on the fly (simply what I found worked best with my tablet). That said it uses a fair whack of the server CPU to do so, approx 50% of an i7-950 for that material/transcode mix .
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Been playing around with this and subsonic works fine on the raspberry pi apart from one thing, trans-coding.
    transcoding uses ffmpeg to encode the video to h264 using the ultrafast preset.

CPU seems to hit about 80-90% but the video is stuttering, so i was thinking to try a different codec than h264, any one know ffmpeg and can suggest a low CPU (relative) format I might try?