Options

Career change to IT?

MeditatorMeditator Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just want to find out what I should change my career to, and if IT is what I should even consider at all. Anyway, I have been a Tennis (teaching) pro for over 12 years. - past two years I have been traveling w/ my player both Nationally/ Internationally trying to get him to play successfully at professional level (a big dream for every tennis coach). To make a long story short, I really don't enjoy traveling (every two weeks) or looking at tennis anymore at this point. The good is during all these years, I have actually got a few certs: CompTIA A+, CCNA, CCNA: Wireless. I am currently working on ITIL- which really gives me a better understanding on business side of IT.

Until about year ago, I did some IT work (Help Desk/Desktop support) for almost a year- before traveling. Now, I probably will be looking for IT entry-level work again to get back, and probably will stick w/ IT if at all possible. Here's my plan:

Help Desk/ Desktop support > NOC/ Data Center tech> Network Technician > CCNP cert ( CCNP level job- in the next 4 or 5 years??)

I really do enjoy working w/ switch and router and can see myself doing the Network related job. The NOC or Data Center jobs is probably more direct to my interest- but I haven't even seen any entry-level technician, much less job interview. So, the next best thing is Help desk/desktop support, but will having CCNA hurt my chance of even getting those jobs at all? How long should I stay at Help desk? If I decide to stay, say six month to a year, then look for NOC job, what will be my next CCNA level certification I should aim for? Is the NOC job will even allow me to work on CCNA: Security or CCNA: VOIP- on actual router? I got the Wireless because I didn't have to have equipments to pass the exam, btw- perhaps I can re-do CCNA:wirelsss again 2 1/2 years from now, not having to worry about the time frame I need to get into NOC/Data Center job. Not even back in IT (entry-level) yet, I am wondering though if I will even get a chance to work on switch/ router at all- any time soon- looking forward. I am already over 40- don't mind entry level pay though, but am I too late to even get in IT?

Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Meditator - while I cannot answer your specific questions regarding jobs and certs, I would like to encourage you to keep trying to get into the IT field - you obviously like IT, and have taken time to earn a number of certs, so just continue to churn out those applications! Like you, I too am in my mid-forties and I am still waiting on my first IT job! For the time being, I have put the cert thing on hold while I complete the BS-IT at WGU. You didn't state your general educational background in this post but, if you don't already have a BS, you should consider getting one, and WGU seems to be a good choice for the busy adult learner. Once more, good luck on your endeavors and keep us posted! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome back to IT and to TE!

That sounds like a decent plan, just dont worry about those titles too much (NOC tech, network tech, system tech - all mean different in various companies). But I can see where you are getting to. Entry-level NOC jobs are a rarity to be honest, but they do show up every now and again. In fact, two of our members, DBG and shodown posted jobs on here. One was in Texas and I cant remember where the other one was. Your best bet is going to be Helpdesk/Desktop Support/Entry-level Network Support. Just be careful with those certs. I'd drop the CCNA: Wireless unless you saw a job that would prefer prospective employees to have that cert or some Wireless experience. If you applied for a NOC technician role, leave the CCNA in. You need to tailor your resume for each role you apply for. Have different versions of your resume ready. A resume is all about selling yourself, so it's in your best interest to do it well.

I've always recommended and will say it again, never stay in a Helpdesk position for too long. If all your doing is resetting passwords, ordering new keyboards for users or sending technicians to their place to fix their Internet, get the experience for a year or so and get the eff outa there. You stop learning, you get the hell out of there. You dont want to hold yourself back, especially at your age. 40 is still not too bad, but you are on the other side already I must say. So you get the experience and move on. Don't let emotions get the better of you, you may have a great manager, cool teammates and an awesome atmosphere at the Helpdesk, but all your doing is making $30,000 - $40,000 a year or so and not learning anything at all, you dont want to be at that level forever for the next 5-7 years, do ya?

I also reckon that you channel all your efforts in finding a role for yourself and avoid any certs for now (or atleast dont put them on the resume!). Too many certs and little experience is very suss. So prep up your resume, flood it out and you should land something soon enough.

You may also want to get your resume critiqued by the people on here. Strip out your personal info and let TE have a go at it and like always, there'll be a lot of good feedback for ya. And keep coming back to TE!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MeditatorMeditator Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, I already have my BS- in Liberal Arts/ Cartography (making maps!). I actually did work for NASA (Space program) for awhile before realizing that I wanted to do more w/ Tennis than Technical stuff. Now, it's the other way around, and NASA is going more w/ automation system than human (operator).

When I was doing the Help Desk/ Desktop support, I really did enjoy the job- going to different department, dealing w/ people face to face, talking to people and fixing their problems- almost like teaching tennis, refurb PC/keyboards were OK, but overall felt like I wasn't doing the job at my full capacity at that role.