VCP5-DV Lab

n3tadm1nn3tadm1n Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
All,

I just got my VCP Official Certification book and am now planning on acquiring lab hardware. Could you please provide a recommendation for a home lab to get through this book? Total novice at VMware except for installing ESXi for SMB clients. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
n3tadm1n

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can use Windows 7 w/ workstation (6GB of RAM needed I believe) to host ESXi for it's basic features..but you will need more heavy duty equipment for the more advanced featurs of vpshere and esxi.
  • richyfivealiverichyfivealive Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went for 2 HP microservers, cost £230 each with a £100 rebait from HP> you can get 16GB of ram in them too
  • ryrovaryrova Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too am also finally beginning my quest for the VCP5 cert. Are 2 servers enough or ideal for a vcp5 lab and are there any recommendations for hardware requirements and lets say if i wanted to scale them for a VCAP after? I will also be using vmware workstation but i prefer handling hardware. My budget will allow for it.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Get one beefy machine, 16GB of RAM, quad core, an SSD and you'll be set. You can nest ESXi inside of ESXi with no issues. I have a DL380 G5 server with 32GB RAM and a quad core processor. Doesnt miss a beat running ESXi 5 as the physical OS and then nesting 4 virtual ESXi servers inside of it. The virtual ESXi servers then runs a few VM's each. Shared storage is provided by a Starwind SAN running inside a VM (this VM is at the same hierarchical level as the virtual ESXi servers, there's another VM that runs AD/DNS at the same level). This setup works a treat and is VCAP-sufficient.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com