Options

Looks like I will be without cable for a while....so...

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
AT&T came by yesterday, this is after Comcast disconnected my service. The reason was a break in the coax line between my unit and the CO.

Of course my HOA **** it back on me (I live in a condo), so AT&T can't establish service. They did offer me to go through the CAT 3 (analog line), but I really need the coax fixed so I can actually sell the place someday.

So now I've been without internet and TV for 4 weeks, I've been going to the coffee shops. I finished my CCNA 12/24, so before I begin the CCNA-V, I thought of the following idea:

Verizon has the 4G device that can accept up to 10 device, when I was at the store, I believe it assigned a class C private IP to my tablet.

I also came to own a Linksys Access Point (not a fully blown router).

I was thinking of getting the Verizon 4G device in order to at least get myself back online. What I really wanted to do, is make the lab accessible remotely.

I was wondering, I can connect the Linksys to one of my routers and assign it the correct IP, and then route the traffic to that IP.

I can authorize the Linksys MAC address on the Verizon device.

What do you guys think? Really want my internet back....icon_sad.gif
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I guess I don't understand why you cannot fix the coax?
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A few things about your setup.

1. Verizon is capped at 2GBs and that is just for like 40 bucks a month
    2. 4G has high latency good for surfing the web and maybe some video but not much else
    3. Your AP needs to connect to something if I'm not mistaken it typically needs to be plugged in via Ethernet cable to another networking device or port.
    4. MiFi devices create their own wireless that you can connect yoru devices too you wouldn't need a WAP.
    5. Verizon will force you to sign a contract which is typically 2 years.
    You should just fix your coax and then pay AT&T or whoever you want to go with. worse comes ot worse why not just hop up in the attic and re turn some coax using a fish tape?
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Please confirm that the problem is something that you're required to repair. If so, then you should just repair it. (Shouldn't that cost less than a 2 year contract with Verizon?)

Then, you get your internet back, and you can sell the place more easily in the future.

Seems simple.

With regards to the MIFI thing, I don't see much of an issue with it, as bandwidth isn't much of an issue, if you only use it for labbing. If your IP changes a lot, you might consider doing a dynamic dns or something. However, I'm leaning towards fixing the actual problem, if it's apparently your responsibility to do so.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)