Options

Netapp network migration

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, this isn't certification related. Early in 2013 I will have the task of migrating a Netapp 2040 off a 6509 and on to a set of Nexus 5k's, Ideally we would like to have zero down time, the filer is running critical production vm's and critical cifs shares on both heads, NFS mount for vmware, two, two port vifs per head, one for CIFS one for NFS, they are currently multi-mode LACP.

We will be migrating it to the nexus 5k's in a VPC scenario, we do have another 2040 in the same data room, the vm's could be moved here, but that would take a ton of time.

Can anyone give me a general idea of how to do this without dropping anything?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Okay I can help you out with this but a few questions first:

- Are you retiring the 6509?
    - How are the N5k's connected to the 6509?
    - Are the N5K's L2 or do they have L3 cards?
    - Do the VLANs that the filers live on exist on other switches?
    - Can we force a controlled failover between the filer heads? (aka, is this considered "downtime"?)
    - Are the ESX hosts on the same subnet as the NFS vifs or are we routing?
    - Are the CIFS clients on the same subnet as the CIFS vifs or are we routing?
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Astorrs, thanks for reaching out and offering your help, after reviewing all the facts management decided to order lease replacements a quarter or two early, so I will be doing a straight migration 2040/6509 combo to the nexus 5548/ Netapp 2240 combo, 10Gb networking and flash pools on the new gear is going to be pretty sweet to.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No worries, I assumed you'd figured it out anyway. :)

Sounds like a good plan, the 2240 is a more capable box for SMB than the old 2040s.