Options

January goal - CEH

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats iris. I was thinking about giving the OSCP a shot- the course seems pretty legit. Are you leaning towards doing the same?
  • Options
    dbrinkdbrink Member Posts: 180
    Congrats on the pass. I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the cert or not.
    Currently Reading: Learn Python The Hard Way
    http://defendyoursystems.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    I can see why some people get a little disillusioned with the exam when it's over. Overall, I would say that the difficulty level is near beginner for this exam. It's harder than the CompTIA Security+ but not as hard as the CompTIA Linux+ (if that makes sense). It requires a level of knowledge when it comes to syntax and being able to recognizes some basic things (SQL, unicode, etc) but not enough to solve a complex hack.

If anyone is looking for a nice credential and a career n00b (at least 2 years of experience), then this credential might look good to give you a leg up. If you're looking to gain some real knowledge, I'd say go after the Offensive Security certifications. To pass those certifications, you have to actually be able to apply the knowledge and there are no multiple choice questions.

Congrats on the pass and I totally agree with your assessment. Beginning to wonder if I should keep applying ECE's to keep the cert as it does seem like kind of a joke between the flippant exam and shady business practices. And +1 for the OffSec labs, finishing my report and scheduling the exam at the moment, it has been hands down most difficult and rewarding certification that I have gone for so far!
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats iris!
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a little late to the game. With that said, congratulations Iris!

I'm just beginning to study for this exam for my WGU masters. I've seen the AIO for CEH study guide mentioned throughout this thread. I really enjoyed the AIO I used as a study aid for the CISSP exam. This one isn't written by Shon Harris; but it seems many people think highly of it nonetheless. I will use it as my main study aid and supplement with the EC-Council lectures and labs provided by WGU. I may even purchase the hard copy.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    So I added the CEH to my resume on Indeed, Dice, and Monster and now I can't stop getting calls/emails for security jobs on the west coast. WTF? Is the CEH really THAT valued by recruiters? What a joke...

Not looking for a job but I always update and keep my resume out there but man... I had to take my phone number out of this last one
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just started at a security company last week and I was surprised to see how many "security" professionals have the CEH. As of now, I'm considering studying and taking the exam at some point in the next month or so.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Is the CEH really THAT valued by recruiters? What a joke...
    Recruiters only value what the employers that hire them value. EC-Council's marketing campaigns must be reaching employers.

It would be interesting to know if there are commercial companies interested in CEH, or it's primary defense-related businesses.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I know when I was looking to move to Charlotte and looking for a security centric position, a lot of recruiters were looking for the CEH. The majority of clients they handled were finance and energy sectors and didn't hear anything about defense. I have had similar experience to Iris though after adding it to my resume. Not looking currently but it's nice to know that options are available with this particular cert.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Out of curiosity, what were the specs on your Backtrack laptop?