Options

Do you have the job you want?

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. Yes and No, I like my job, company, and boss gives me lots of great training opportunities I never got before. My ideal job is at a gaming company (Ubisoft, EA, etc.)
    2. I want to get to Sr. Systems/Network Admin or IT Manager
    3. I'm working on my CCNA to expand my networking knowledge and other areas such as virtualization, storage
    4. Experience
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    +1
    blargoe wrote: »
    No. I'm not exactly sure what I eventually want to be doing, but I know what I'm doing now isn't it.

^^ me too. I'm quitting my job tomorrow.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    1. Do you have the job you want?

Yes and no. I enjoy what I'm doing and have grown significantly in this position over the past year. I have higher aspirations for the next 5-10 years, though, so I'm not done yet.

2. If you say No to 1, what kind of job do you want?

I'm currently in a management role, but I don't think I'm done with the technical side of things just yet. Jumping into management has caused my pay to grow faster than my technical experience, which would be fine if I planned to stay in management forever. I still want/need some senior level network/systems experience under my belt, though. I basically jumped from desktop to junior admin to very technical low level management. I make good money, but don't want to limit my options down the road.

3. Like they say - no gains without pains (terrible cliche, I know!). What are you doing to get the job you want?

I'm splitting my time right now between improving in my current position and advancing my technical ability at the same time. I'm studying for the CCNA:S now since my renewal comes up this year. I'd like to start on the Server 2012 tracks after that to stay rounded and ready for a variety of opportunities.

4. Important question - What's preventing you from getting to where you want to be? What are you hurdles?

Technical knowledge level and experience mainly. I need to gain as much knowledge as I can in the next couple of years and elbow my way into a little more administration (which is possible in my current position to an extent). That way when something opens up on the tech side of our department I'll be well positioned to make the move.

Great questions! Hope this helps someone else.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335

No. My current job is a great stepping stone into what I want, but it is no where near what I want to be doing. The good thing is the company I work for now is growing so in the next few years there could be plenty of opportunity for me to get where I want to be.

Senior Network Engineer working in design and/or security.

3. Like they say - no gains without pains (terrible cliche, I know!). What are you doing to get the job you want?

Gaining day to day experience managing, changing, and troubleshooting a service provider network. I'm also working on my CCNP. My timeline has been pushed out a little on the CCNP because of the demands of a new job, but I'm getting back to my studies and hope to have Route done in a month or so.

4. Important question - What's preventing you from getting to where you want to be? What are you hurdles?

EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!

In the world of network engineering experience is king and without it no one is going to let you build, design, and secure their network.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745

No. I currently work as an IT auditor for DoD, which pays better than most jobs in this area, and allows me the opportunity to not get stale. One thing you find with large networks is that the configurations of them (if they're well managed) tend to be kinda uniform, which means you might begin to see the same kind of things, over and over again.

I empathize with the soldier. I audit Army networks, and he's right, there is a complete civilian takeover of the NECs. I didn't realize it had gotten this bad until I started doing site visits. I think they started doing this during the time when Iraq/Afghanistan started jumping off, because I know that I remember looking at the Fort Riley DOIM (when they used to call it that) before I left for Iraq, and after I got back, and it went from green to (I don't know what color represents civilians).

Now, if you are a 25B, and I think you are, you're in an ideal position to use Skillport to death while you're in. Don't look so much at where you are today, but where you can be tomorrow.

I have no idea how likely you are to get deployed, but if you do, there won't be many civilians out there to assist you, and you'll be the one holding things down. If you make sure that your skills are tight now, it'll come in real handy during time of deployment.

Has your AIT changed from when I was in? This is what my AIT covered back in 2000:
    Fundamentals of Security: Orange Book, Rainbow Series, AR 25-Series
    Unix Fundamentals: installation, shell commands, printing, daemon control, etc.
    Routing Fundamentals: ARP, routing by rumor, RIP V1, installation, troubleshooting (I believe the routing was a RIP daemon on a UNIX host)
    Cabling Fundamentals: Coax, Ethernet, WF-16, Fiber, installation, troubleshooting, bus topology, star topology
    PC Fundamentals: PC internals, troubleshooting
    Windows Fundamentals: Windows NT, Windows 98, Domain, PDC/BDC (before PDC emulation, there was a PDC server), installation, troubleshooting
    LAN FTX: Basically, take everything above, and create a working network

That was my AIT, back in Y2K. If they just took that same stuff and made it current, I see no reason at all why 25B should be so underutilized in today's military.

Self-Employed or Franchise Owner

Currently researching ways to get a business funded or started.

There is nothing preventing me, other than the time it takes to figure it out. If you have any leads on this, please PM me. Many thanks.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□

Definiately not. I currently work in Help Desk and find that my creativity is going to waste.

I would love to run my own business and do some sort of IT consulting. I don't get the creative freedom from doing help desk and my employers see me as a risk to do anything more because i dont have the education or experience to work on anything network or server related. Once i round out my technical skillset and knowledge with my education from WGU, I plan on writing up some proposals to move myself into a more project manager type role too.

I am starting school at WGU for one. I am dedicating all my free time this year and sacrificing vacations, road trips, travel in general, and fun in general to keeping on track and hopefully accelerating through school. I would really like to knock out my degree in a year and prove to myself that i am truelly capable of anything.

If not that, I would love to work on developing Apps for Iphone/Ipad. Perhaps do POS sales and support for mom and pop retail stores. I am really flexible but it has to be something that will allow me to live where i want and travel without penalties.

My ADD will be a challange as i have MANY distractions in my life. I do have support from my friends and family so hopefully they will keep me on target. Money and the economy will be a big challenge as my going to school is entirely based on my being able to financially afford it. If something were to happen and i lose my job then i would be on my last term until i could find another job. Living paycheck to paycheck has that effect.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Service Desk seems like a perfect fit with someone with ADHD or ADD. It melds well to that type of personality.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□

I get up happy to go to work, and leave work happy to be going back to my family... And I get to design and implement networking all day.. I haven't reached the pinicle of my career or knowledge but that will be ongoing throughout my career and while my current job is what I want, I know in a few years I will ready to move on again having achieved every thing I can in it.

They say with any thing to be good at what you do you need to put in at least 10,000 hours practice, this is true if you are a musician, artist, or indeed in IT. Put in the time inside and outside of work and I have faith that I can achieve any thing I want to.

Nothing and no one can stop you achieving what you want. I have had to work harder than many to get where I am, I suffer from sever dyslexia (also means I have ADHD quite badly to), I spell like an 11 year old, as my wife will testifie have the memory of a sieve and organizational skills of a bacteria. I have had many test for dyslexia and come out as several affected. I have spent my life being told I was slow, stupid and lazy, both at school and during my early years in IT. I have had to learn how to over come these problems and been knocked back many more times than I care to remember. What I learnt is that to succeed you have to earn respect, you can't expect people to take you seriously the first time you come up with an idea, you have to back it up with evidence and proof. To start with it helps if you deliver your ideas and have the documents to back them up, or if you are lucky a more experienced member of staff who will back you up. Its only much later once you have earned the respect that people will take your word and trust your judgments. To often I get junior members of staff coming up with things in meetings, but unable to answer any follow up questions you put to them. Advice to get of the help desk... don't wait for the company to move you off it, it will never happen, there is nothing in it for them to help you move up, you need to show them that you are more valuable to them in a more senior role, and that means you putting in the effort in your own time.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    no
    Senior Architect or CIO and eventually open my own networking business.
    CCIE
    Work, Girlfriend, Parents time, running errands aka life.
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□

No, but I am happy that I'm employed and have a job; (We could all be worse off..)

InfoSec.. either administrative or technical..

Completing my Masters through WGU and studying for other certifications when I can.

Gotta pass that CISSP just to get my feet wet in IA.. Haven't been able to find any Jr. positions.. Hopefully, if I can pass the CISSP this year, I can move into IA.

@Codyy & NavyIT, as much as you all can't wait to get out of the military.. just enjoy the time that you have in. I've been there, but the grass isn't always greener.. or water bluer.. It might suck, at times, but you'll look back on it and miss it.. Like I tell my guys, just use the time to your advantage (like you're doing now) and be prepared when that time comes. Get everything you can out of the military.. schools, training, certs, degrees.. The time will go by quickly..
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□

Like everyone else…NO

Ultimately I’d like a Director of IT position at Disney. Current goal is promotion to either Sr. Tech or Network Admin at current job or Network/Systems Admin or something in Security somewhere else.

Currently finishing up a BS in Networking from WGU and reading anything I find interesting.

For ultimate goal … Currently living in NJ kind of hurts. Masters Degree is required for Disney job as well as exp which I currently don’t have. For current goals – Waiting on civil service appeal about promotional exam (11 years in IT, several certs and 120 credits doesn’t equal 3 years exp and a BS degree under civil service). As for leaving current job I was just burned at a new job and am a little leery of leaving again so close to a possible promotion.
  • Options
    brightwoodbrightwood Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    No. I'm not exactly sure what I eventually want to be doing, but I know what I'm doing now isn't it.

^^ This.

1. Not by a long shot.

2. I'm currently in networking, but my current position has made me re-think what I want to do. I'm currently leaning towards more systems-based work and I want a job where the work I do actually makes a difference. Things like Khan Academy, Code Academy, Duolingo, Drupal Gardens are all amazing projects that I would love to be a part of.

3. I'm currently looking at LAMP best practices, security and generally learning more about web solutions. I'm looking for a job that will get me some more experience in those areas. I'm looking at maybe doing LPIC-1 to try and make myself more attractive to employers.

4. Experience mainly, and a slight lack of motivation due to the fact I'm not happy in my current job (although, I know in theory that should make me more motivated).
  • Options
    SlepnairSlepnair Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1. no - Field Tech for a Real Estate Company
    2. not quite sure where in IT i fit.
    3. Attempting to study for certs starting with A+
    4. Horrible Student, no real study habits. Don't know where to start or what i need to learn. Need hands on instead of book learning.

I have 2 years experience as Staples Easy Tech Technician (i did more than i was really supposed to.) and a bit as a field tech for the company i'm currently with. I dont want to do the heavy field work, i'd rather be on the back end fixing issues remotely, but not a big fan of the phone. Prefer email unless i have to use the phone.

Been told to look into Sys Admin, but i'll be honest... i can never get the same answer for what that entails.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    1. Yes and No. I am quite comfortable in my current position....probably too comfortable.

2. I'd like to get into Systems Admin and /or Security.

3. I am getting my degree, then it's onto the CCNA and security certs, at least that's the plan.

4. Nothing's really preventing me from leaving now. I actually like my job. Yes, it's desktop support and Help Desk, but I have fun doing it. I promised my wife that I would start applying for higher positions once I've got my degree done. KFT1 Task 4 is a terrible task and the last thing I need for graduation.

Come on man! I'm routing(said with a country accent) for you!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    instant000 wrote: »

No. I currently work as an IT auditor for DoD, which pays better than most jobs in this area, and allows me the opportunity to not get stale. One thing you find with large networks is that the configurations of them (if they're well managed) tend to be kinda uniform, which means you might begin to see the same kind of things, over and over again.

I empathize with the soldier. I audit Army networks, and he's right, there is a complete civilian takeover of the NECs. I didn't realize it had gotten this bad until I started doing site visits. I think they started doing this during the time when Iraq/Afghanistan started jumping off, because I know that I remember looking at the Fort Riley DOIM (when they used to call it that) before I left for Iraq, and after I got back, and it went from green to (I don't know what color represents civilians).

Now, if you are a 25B, and I think you are, you're in an ideal position to use Skillport to death while you're in. Don't look so much at where you are today, but where you can be tomorrow.

I have no idea how likely you are to get deployed, but if you do, there won't be many civilians out there to assist you, and you'll be the one holding things down. If you make sure that your skills are tight now, it'll come in real handy during time of deployment.

Has your AIT changed from when I was in? This is what my AIT covered back in 2000:
    Fundamentals of Security: Orange Book, Rainbow Series, AR 25-Series
    Unix Fundamentals: installation, shell commands, printing, daemon control, etc.
    Routing Fundamentals: ARP, routing by rumor, RIP V1, installation, troubleshooting (I believe the routing was a RIP daemon on a UNIX host)
    Cabling Fundamentals: Coax, Ethernet, WF-16, Fiber, installation, troubleshooting, bus topology, star topology
    PC Fundamentals: PC internals, troubleshooting
    Windows Fundamentals: Windows NT, Windows 98, Domain, PDC/BDC (before PDC emulation, there was a PDC server), installation, troubleshooting
    LAN FTX: Basically, take everything above, and create a working network

That was my AIT, back in Y2K. If they just took that same stuff and made it current, I see no reason at all why 25B should be so underutilized in today's military.

Self-Employed or Franchise Owner

Currently researching ways to get a business funded or started.

There is nothing preventing me, other than the time it takes to figure it out. If you have any leads on this, please PM me. Many thanks.

They REALLY watered it down icon_sad.gif I graduated (reclass from medic) in 09'....
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    okplayaokplaya Member Posts: 199
    1. No, but I'm grateful to be gainfully employed.

2. I'd like to work in a pure network engineering role.

3. 1/3 finished the CCNP. Hope to begin CCIE this year.

4. Money! In my current role I bring in more money than I likely will for a few years. The downside is that I'm doing work that won't help me in future roles. I have almost 3 years experience on my resume, but have the skills of someone with 1-2 years. I'm choosing to "stick it out" for the pay, but I some times think about leaving and taking the pay cut to get the technical expertise elsewhere.
  • Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□

Yes. I'm the Director of IT at a medium sized defense company. Long term, I plan on a title change from Director to CIO (the company needs to mature a bit more before this can happen). I'm still young (mid 20's), but I plan on having this title by age 30.

n/a

I'm working on my bachelors and after I finish, I plan on earning my MBA. Aside from that, I'm doing my normal day-to-day duties and I try to learn something new every day.. This forum's user base is really heavy on passing certifications, which are great, but there are other tangible qualities that will set you apart from other individuals in IT. I treat others as I wish to be treated. I try to remember my coworkers names and if possible, their wife/kids names. Even though I have introverted tendencies, I make it a point to strike up meaningful non IT related conversations with others. I can't stress enough how important it is for IT personnel to be be able to "talk shop" with others. I work hard and when something goes great, I give the credit to someone else. When something wrong happens due to my team, I'm the first to take the blame and work on resolving the issue. Often, I'm the last person to leave the building at night.

I consider it a privilege to support the men and women in my company. They're some of the most talented individuals in the world at their particular specialties. How I really know I'm in the right place? Today, 1/2/13, is the first day back for a lot of people in the workplace. This morning, my Facebook feed was inundated with posts from individuals who hated that their holiday break was over and were dreading going back to work. Me? I missed working throughout the holiday and while I enjoyed the break, I was extremely excited to get back to the office today.

The biggest hurdle is time/experience. As other's have said, you have to put your time in and learn everything you can. Sometimes a bit of luck helps as well. In my position I have to deal with politics and some petty issues from some employees, but overall it's not too bad.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    1. Yes & No. I have a job that is pushing me towards my goal and I am off of the Service Desk, so I cannot argue with what I currently have.
    2. My 5 year goal is a Server Admin position.
    3. Working by arse off on Windows (and probably Cisco) certs, attempting to get my 2 year in Networking and Comms
    4. Experience. My current position only happened because my boss was willing to take a chance on me. I am using this time to gain valuable knowledge and experience.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm quitting my job tomorrow.
    Does that mean that you are one step closer to #1? And congratulations are in order? icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thegoodbye wrote: »
    Me? I missed working throughout the holiday and while I enjoyed the break, I was extremely excited to get back to the office today.

Now that's how it should be! I too see forlorn, sad faces in the office with people whinging about the break not being long enough and about being back in the zoo.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I never really took breaks. I am young and without family, so I tend to take the extra cash and help out my co-workers who do have kids or a significant other. Sadly, my new job does not recognize holidays (Medical field can be a bummer sometimes), so the extra cash around Christmas was abscent this year.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes and No, my bosses are really cool, i get decent pay, i have got chances to increase my salary and well im a field engineer... i install configure and troubleshoot and do also some presales for wireless, security, switching & routing... sometimes i have to see some stuff i really dont like... like Centralized Antivirus, and backup and recovery programs... i also know some windows server but i dont use it that much...
    Working for arubanetworks, i really like deploying wireless network, and i really like that brand, and everything it can do, would like to be on a really high position on that company.
    Well iam studying a lot of wireless to know a lot of it... also will atemp for ACMX and ACDX which are the highest certification level of Arubanetworks, its like their CCIE... both certs.

For now knowledge.. i need more... if i move to it i want like i said a really high position. But i do need the knowledge to back it up... and also the experience... which im getting on this company.... It would be actually make me sad leaving the company iam right now as its really cool but it all depends... im on a small company which is growing... if it goes really good in here i might just stay here but i dont know time will decide :)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm in an interesting place. I have a job that 10 years ago was my dream job. It's got every perk I could ever ask for (and them some), pay is great, benefits are awesome, and my co-workers are incredibly professional..and sharp. I can truly say the folks I work with now are some of the smartest people in this industry- and that's not just me making it up, that's based on their professional resumes- and reputation among other IT professionals.

That all being said, I've always been one to not be satisfied where I'm at. I recognize I have a great job, but I'm still striving for more. So the short answer is: yes, I have the job I want, but no, I'm not going to stay here forever. I realize how backwards that sounds.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    Does that mean that you are one step closer to #1? And congratulations are in order? icon_thumright.gif

I certainly hope so. What it really means: I will unemployed for a (short) period of time and explore my options :)

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @UnixGuy, I know with your skills and experience you'll land something soon enough, but nevertheless a courageous decision to leave a job with no new job lined up.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No.

A position where I am capable to design, maintain, evolve a network. Creating documentation, keeping things running smoothly.

A position where I can learn more, get rewarded for it besides "Why did you certify in XXX?" I'd like to design a network that spans more than just my office room.

Studying for Linux. I've read that Linux knowledge is helpful in Networking, also in job searches - Linux experience is preferred. Afterwards, I'm studying CCNA:Security/Voice/Wireless and CCDA. I feel a firm grasp of the large forest view will help, as it can give me the capability to join in conversations intelligently about different technologies. If new technologies are abreast, I can come back up to speed quicker as technology will evolve. Being able to stand my ground as a competent engineer, ask questions, as well as understand the terminology (Besides what the words stand for) will help me in my goal.

Excuses.

I have a few things holding me back from going further and looking to better my career:
    1) I want my dying car paid off.
    2) I want to be able to have more than $1000 saved up for the move. More than $3000 for all deposits.
    --- These two are vastly important ---

3) I want my certifications before moving on.
    4) I want to find a replacement for my current position. He's already expressed that I will be hard to replace (As in no one wants to take the pay rate for the work). From a personal standpoint, I find my bosses to be friends. Business wise they're intelligent and they have my respect for what they have accomplished and I hope to do more than they are.

5) I want to try to iron out my soft skills. I'm rough around the edges when it comes to dealing with people's complaining. I'm learning to try to take a political approach. I'd like to take some classes in college for public speaking.

I have a pretty good "personal" reputation, as far as being outgoing. However, I'm cold and mostly Black/White when it comes to business. I'm a firm believer of: "It's not my problem because: X. Y. Z. The ball's in your court."

Likewise: Don't tell me it's my problem without providing me with troubleshooting you've done to fix the issue. 1) I'm not dell and I'm not reading from a script! 2) I don't care about business politics. Everyone's goal should be: Fixing the problem. Not just to toss the problem around like a hot potato. It's a problem and I need to get the problem fixed to continue making my business more money. ...After it's fixed, I'll treat you to pancake stack at iHop or perhaps a small gift card for your cooperation - I'm not above rewarding for good work.

Politics is really the best way to get money from the company. To do things right, I'll need the OK from the managers and executives. The best way is to have them in your pocket.

6) Ultimately, I'm hoping with enough studying and labbing that I'll be a damn good entry-level engineer. I'm on these forums reading to member's takes on problems and trying to take their experiences as my own. As pitfalls to avoid, tips for troubleshooting and anything that's useful.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    @UnixGuy, I know with your skills and experience you'll land something soon enough, but nevertheless a courageous decision to leave a job with no new job lined up.

I'm prepared with some savings, and I will be doing some traveling as well. It should be fun icon_cool.gif

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. I'm working at the comapny I want to work at with a title that I am satisfied with for the time being as a Jr Admin
    2. I would like to be a full Sys Admin and hopefully move to the dayshift when I finish school
    3. Currently finishing school and learning as much about linux as I can as well as other parts of the job
    4. Mostly time and experience. As far as school, I'm getting a little side tracked by life problems such as moving and car troubles.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1.Nope, I don't have the job i want, but that would hopefully change soon
    2.I would like move into a networking position, ie a Senior network engineer. Currently what am doing is not what i want at all as what i love only comes along every few months and spend most of my time doing stuff i don't want here at work which has nothing to do with networking or even being a sys admin and i feel tormented.
    3.Working hard everyday to acquire the necessary degrees and certification and mostly experience so i could be where i want to be.
    4. Experience, I switched to networking from being a windows admin about a year and a half ago and i need to work more in an environment where i can gain more experience so i can move on to a better position.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I do not. But getting there.
    System Support Engineer for Cisco Security.
    I am currently finishing up my CCNP then on to CCNP-Security when done. I am in the right departmental area (NOC Center) just on the wrong side of the room at the moment.
    My current boss. To get him to allow me to cross train so that I can show that I can do the work. Otherwise no other hurdles exist. I am slowly crawling where I want to be.