Options

Resume Question

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm in the process of looking for a new job because I need a bigger and better challenge. I feel I can go no further in my current position with my current employer.

My question here is:

Is it bad for your resume to be more then one page long? I have trimmed my down from two pages to one because I heard a lot of people say that when a resume is more then one page long employers usually don't look at it. I'd like to have all my skills, experience, and knowledge listed in my resume, but it goes over one page. What should I do? and is that true that when a resume is over one page long employers don't really care to look at it?

Any feedback would be great!!!

Thanks
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    From what I have understood and according to most IT professionals, your resume is supposed to be more than 1 page if you are in the IT career. Since our job incorporates technical skills, the resume will extend out more than one page.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    Personally, I would keep it concise - but 1 page seems too short to me to communicate what you want to get across.

I don't see how you can get everything required for a decent resume on a single page without reducing the font size beyond legibility.

In my experience - it isn't length that stops people from looking at your resume - it is verbosity.
  • Options
    jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've always kept my resume one page only. Sure some employers might read it, but there are going to be some that will just toss it because it is to long and overwelming. Find a way to keep it under a page. What I have done is reduced font, changed fonts, made it two columns, adjusted the width, height of the margins; squeezing all I could out of a the page. I also cut out some redundant and unnecessary things. Just try to trim it down a bit without leaving out the vital stuff that will make companies want to speak with you. But this is only my opinion. I'm sure you will get people that say both. It is up to you and if you are able to fit it on one page. Good Luck.

JDog29
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you know my thoughts on this.... but for those that don't here they are

a technical resume should be longer than one page due to the fact of listing of skills, employers ( if new to IT filed resume will be 1 page) and accomplishments at these jobs.. secondly when detailing out your job duties at each job keep them very clear and detailed.

if u supported different server platforms keep it clean by stating

"supported multiple windows based servers" as an example .. this leaves it open for interview questions or placement in skills area on resume

for someone such as myself in the networking arena explaining that i worked with various cisco router platforms and models i would explain it like this:

LAN engineer for xxx projects in Tennessee, Kentucky and Northern Alabama. Insured the proper installation of Cisco router models 17xx, 26xx, 36xx, 28xx, switch series 29xx, 37xx and blah, blah blah.. this is actually from my resume

if you have recieved promotions, raises and(or) saved the company time and(or) money this should be "boasted" too on every position

remember that your selling yourself on paper so don't sell yourself short by not telling of your exploits
    icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    You can use as many pages as you need. As long as its well written and concise you will be fine. Its what on the resume that makes you stand out. My friend had only a half page resume when he landed a job at 130k a year. It was the client that was on the resume that got him the job.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I think more than one page is ok. You should include all your experience on your resume.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will probably keep it at 2 pages. I can only trim down my resume so much before I start to take out key things in it. 1 page will just not cut 10 years of IT experience.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...