Newbie ?: possible to use Cisco 1700 router to connect to Time Warner?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
So I'm building my CCNA home lab. I got a Cisco 1700 router. It has a T1DSU/CSU Wic. For fun, is it possible to use this router to plug into my cable modem Motorola Surfboard SB5101U so that my CCNA lab would gain Time Warner Internet Access? Would I need extra hardware?

If Cisco 1700 isn't supposed to be used like this, please explain. Thanks.

Comments

• workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    Any experts here? TIA.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You won't need the T1 WIC for this, just go from the ethernet port on your modem to one of the ethernet ports on your router. Just keep in mind the 1700s are older routers and max out at about 3-8 Mbps throughput.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just like Networker said - the max throughput will more than likely kill you on this. I connected one of my 1700's to my home internet and it wasn't great at all. But if you want to test it out, then just plug in the cable that goes from your existing router in one of the ethernet ports on the 1700. Obviously you'll need to do a bit of configuring to get this done. But since you're studying, then this will be a good learning curve for you.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    Nice. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.

But the Ethernet port on the router is 10/100mbps, why can't I get a higher speed? Time Warner cable Internet that I have is much higher than 3-8 Mbps.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That is all the router back plane can handle. When these routers were widely used the popular WAN connections were T1s with only a 1.5 Mbps rate so the 3-8 Mbps were plenty in those days.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.