Cisco Network Simulator VS GNS3

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everybody,
What is your opinion on the Cisco Network Simulator? Is it worth while to buy the expansion labs? How about GNS3? Is GNS3 better than Cisco Network Simulator?

Thanks,

Comments

• instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    The only "Cisco Network Simulator" I can find is the one that Boson makes. It costs $350, according to a brief search I did. For that price, you could buy two or three real layer-3 switches, and connect them to GNS3. If you already have IOS access, then GNS3 is probably the better deal of the two.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a free limited functionality version with my ICDN1 cert book. i think 6 or 8 labs in it.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    I'd have a play around with both after all GNS3 is open source, you will probably have to get your hands on an IOS though. I have just recently (in past 2 days) started playing around with GNS3 and top be honest im loving it, my only concern is at the moment i run the idle PC feature and my CPU is running at 12% for 3 routers. When i start creating larger networks im quite sure its gonna cause problems.
  • amee29amee29 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    by cisco network simulator, are you talking about the CCNA 640-802 simulator? I am using that right now and it is very good. don't know what you mean by expansion labs. as it is, this software comes w plenty of labs. plenty. I used boson to get my Ccent. then needed to upgrade for the ccna exercises so i looked into other options. I am liking the cisco simulator much better. the trouble w GNS3 as I understand it is getting an IOS to use.
  • NewInBussinesNewInBussines Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I only used Packet Tracer for my CCNA certification, you can use GNS3 or a real lab for CCNP in my opinion
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    amee29 wrote: »
    by cisco network simulator, are you talking about the CCNA 640-802 simulator? I am using that right now and it is very good. don't know what you mean by expansion labs. as it is, this software comes w plenty of labs. plenty. I used boson to get my Ccent. then needed to upgrade for the ccna exercises so i looked into other options. I am liking the cisco simulator much better. the trouble w GNS3 as I understand it is getting an IOS to use.
    I second this simulator. I find the labs very informative and contain relative information for actual learning. It seems like no one has ever heard of it.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!