Vlsm

saiedsaied Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys. i been studying ccna for about a month now and i have had no problem understanding stuff(i work in the field kind of). i have pretty much grasped everything quickly. the other day i had some subnetting questions but quickly mastered subnetting.

however im on the VLSM part and man i cant get my head around that at all. i did the testout videos and im not too sure what to do. then i went to Todd lamels book and honestly im confused alot. im not sure if this VLSM is just super hard or its just me and im not getting it.

i spent usually 2 days on this kind of stuff but VLSM has had me spend 4 days on it and im no where close to really getting it.

should i keep studying VLSM or just keep going with the chapters and perhaps come back later and maybe then i will get it?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You have to know VLSM to pass the CCNA. Trust me, it's kicked me in the tale a few times as well. What about VLSM is giving you difficulties?
  • saiedsaied Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i just dont understand how im supposed to tell how different ips overlap on different interfaces
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You work out the ranges of the IP address. Then you take the noggin and look at the IP address range

If 10.0.0.0 -> 10.0.4.0 and there's a range 10.0.2.0 -> 10.0.4.0... there's an overlap.

As far as finding ranges - the more you do ranges, you'll find shortcuts on your own. Nothing but keep doing them, and doing them... and doing.

Honestly I've redone different "methods", but they all looked to be the same to get the same answer. One way or another the basic foundation is the same, just different ways of skinning a cat. btw: who would want to skin a cat?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams