Veterans Technology Program, Syracuse University ?

InfantryRaiderInfantryRaider Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been in the military since 2003 having started in the USAF out of high school and currently in the Army National Guard. I applied and was recently approved to take the Veterans Technology Program via Syracuse University online. This looks like a good program from what I have seen so far but have not hear or sen anything from prior students. I am posting this because I was wondering if anyone else on here has taken this or knew anything about it?
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    May also want to try the forums at degreeinfo.com, awesome place for degree info and experiences
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Mjstokes90Mjstokes90 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in the program, the best part about it is the certification and depending where you live might be offered an internship at JP Morgan. If you have any specific questions you can PM me.
  • InfantryRaiderInfantryRaider Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Outstanding, I am glad I posted this... friend request sent and PM on the way!
  • jeabotjeabot Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey, I joined the forums for this thread. I was wondering how the program is going? I am an Iraq Veteran and was interested in applying. Have either of you received an internship or had any employment offers? Thanks
  • InfantryRaiderInfantryRaider Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mjstokes90
    How is it all going... you finish the program or have any good news since starting it?

I am definitely glad I signed up and got accepted! So far I have completed Vet 201 which is somewhat of a Military to Global Corporations re-introduction, and am just about done with Vet 202 which is the Microsoft Office 2010 portion of it. I am looking forward to starting and completing Vet 203 which is where you learn and test for your IT certs... there is talks of "paid internships" for JPMorgan for Vet 204 coming up in NY, OH, and DE :)
    If anyone has any questions I know that Careers4Vets has a good link on their website for the program and you can feel free to hit me up afterwards in regards to the program as I can give a positive recomendation for it.

Good luck fellow Vets!

• typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am just curious if there is any additional news on this program from anyone that was accepted. I am hopefully getting out of the Army soon and this sounds like an awesome program for veterans.

Are you enrolled into actual classes for the certifications?

If not, do they give you study material and a voucher?

Thanks for any additional info!
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Very great share, I still have a year and some change before my ETS. I'll probably apply for the Apr '14 timeframe just to be safe. Lol
  • arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great find, just applied to this. I hope it goes through.
  • typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Awesome, let me know what they say about enrolling in the program and how it works... I can't officially say I have a date of separation so I can't apply yet!
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    I just recently looked into this program. I posted a lot of my thoughts about this program in two separate threads at Degreeinfo:

Thread another guy started whereby I interjected about VCTP and went back-and-forth on some questions.
    Doctorate & Me

(you could go back to the beginning of the thread if you wanted, it is basically about a guy frustrated with the possibility of working on a doctorate program for years, and then only being rewarded with a Masters, who is considering re-focusing on certifications. I then suggest VCTP, and the thread talks about that a bit across the next few postings.)

Raw **** of notes from the phone conversation I had today with the screening interviewer:
    VCTP January 2014 Cohort Interview - Raw Interview Notes

I apologize if I missed any questions that someone else had about the program.

There is a youtube video about the program here:
    VetNet Special Presentation: Veterans Career Transition Program (VCTP) Overview - YouTube

It answers a good bit of questions you might have.

Hope this helps!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Update:

I've been accepted for the upcoming semester @ VCTP.

Since they only pay for one cert during the program, I chose PMP.

Note this thing about the Skillsoft course:
    In addition, Skillsoft courses that are aligned with PMI®'s Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide), are pre-approved for Contact Hour credits for individuals who are preparing to apply for one of PMI®'s certification exams.

Source: http://www.skillsoft.com/assets/credit/datasheet_pmi.pdf

Hope this helps.
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Much mahalos for your input Instant, it def helps out a lot... I won't be getting out as soon as I thought now that I got orders, I do like how there are resources like this for people in that have served. Good luck to eveyone here that attains, hope you get your PMP Instant. icon_thumright.gif
    I don't know if I will, or not. (At least, not necessarily within the next six months --- maybe within the next year.) I just want to take the course for the required contact hours.