Password manager

JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm looking for a good free password manager.

What type of password manager do you guys use and any good recommendations?

Thanks
[h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]

Comments

• HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keepass or last pass, have used both and really enjoy them.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One of the few premium services that I use on the Web is LastPass. It is the best web based, secure password manager I have seen.

I started using it based on the episode of Security Now where Steve Gibson discussed the security that is used to keep LastPass encrypted so that even they cannot unencrypt your password safe.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Another vote for Keepass or LastPass. Both are great programs.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I'm probably an oddball with Windows Phone here, but I use Sky Wallet and I like it alot
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • DACP_timDACP_tim Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone care to explain how Lastpass actually works? Do you create one main login password and then get access to all your other passwords you store in plaintext? So you only have to really remember one difficult password?
    Army OIF Vet - SysAd for the Air Guard - WGU BS-IT Software starting 2/1/2013
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DACP_tim wrote: »
    Anyone care to explain how Lastpass actually works? Do you create one main login password and then get access to all your other passwords you store in plaintext? So you only have to really remember one difficult password?

I use it but I highly recommend spending time with the tutorial and reading the help files. I use the Chrome plug in and it asks me to create a profile for a site I access that requires a password or I can tell it to ignore it. I use it to generate a password for me after I verify the account profile it creates and I can use Lastpass to enter the password for me on the site if I want to.

You really, really need to discipline yourself though to stick with it and not be lazy. At first I was fine with it but then I realized how many sites I had passwords for. I eventually got them all in and started using it regularly. I ran into a few issues but nothing too important like having Lastpass generate a password for me but then having issues entering the password into an app on my phone for example. Lastpass has an app for iOS and Android. Some sites like banks which might require a PIN and password you need to spend a little bit on configuring Lastpass for but no big deal.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Steve Gibson did a pretty detailed explanation of how it works (more than what you are asking)

Security Now! Transcript of Episode #256

But yes, you need to keep a single, highly complex password that secures your vault. Like tpatt100 I use the Chrome plugin and I also use it on my Android phone.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not free, but I love 1Password. I have it set to sync with my phone, ipad, mac and my windows laptop, via dropbox. To me, a good password manager is required these days, so you can use strong, unique passwords everywhere.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll cast another vote for KeePass. There's a good Android program, KeePassDroid, for use with it as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also user Keepass. It's really easy to manage.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys,

I will look into keepass and the others.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • DACP_timDACP_tim Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I might finally have to look into LastPass as well. Thanks for the info.
    Army OIF Vet - SysAd for the Air Guard - WGU BS-IT Software starting 2/1/2013
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use KeePassX
  • Aaron1Aaron1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JustFred wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good free password manager.

What type of password manager do you guys use and any good recommendations?

Thanks

SplashData's SplashID Safe is great. It has extra features in managing even non-password personal data. It easily syncs with different platforms with record keeping feature that is highly customizable. Highly advantageous.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm old fashioned, I've seen a number of password apps for both phones and desktops. But I can just never get over the fact that I'm "giving my password away".

I (typically) don't have much of an issue with passwords. When I do, I do have an encrypted hints document that might give away the first or last character. Or something like a note that says "standard with first and last letter capital". Something that will jog my memory without giving it away should someone else get their hands on it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KeePass for work. We have over 50 different, unique passwords and I'd be lost without something to "manage" them.