DoD Signs Windows 8 Licensing Deal

MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looks as if the department of defense has jumped on the Windows 8 bandwagon.

A $600 million dollar contract with Microsoft has been signed for the utilization of Office 2013, SharePoint 2013 and Windows 8.

Defense.gov News Article: DOD Awards First Joint Licensing Agreement

US Department of Defense signs three-year, $617 million Windows 8 licensing deal

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    not a surprise, I really dont think it is possible for DoD to go to a non Microsoft solution.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought I read they are using Windows 8 as part of the new "enhanced interrogation" methods.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for sharing the article. Interesting
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree the overhaul of all their equipment alone would more the justify the continued use of Microsoft products. Really isn't a viable alternative for them at this stage in the game...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    You would be surprised, this effort is also in conjunction to reduce over all costs and the DoD has been obopting Linux for a lot of their enterprise level applications.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I thought I read they are using Windows 8 as part of the new "enhanced interrogation" methods.

I see it now:

"I don't know how to get out of the blocks! Oh Shi- Please stop! Im lost in the maze of colored blocks and I don't know how things work! The confusion is unbearable! How do I get the start button!! I'll tell you everything!!" Better than old Chinese water-drop torture.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Translation:

"For the umpteenth year in a row, just like most large enterprises, the DOD has once again renewed their Enterprise Agreement (EA) with Microsoft for another 3 years."

Doesn't necessarily mean they'll be deploying Windows 8. ;)
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Oh they'll be deploying it. Sooner rather than later if I had to guess. I give it 9 months before it's ready to go, out before the first service pack I bet.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Not sure if it matters to any of you, but there's been a draft STIG for Windows 8 out since 12/7.

STIGs Master List (A to Z)

So, this has obviously been in the works for quite some time.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Its going to take some time to become final and I don't see anyone in DISA moving to Windows 8 any time soon.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh they'll be deploying it. Sooner rather than later if I had to guess. I give it 9 months before it's ready to go, out before the first service pack I bet.

I am glad I wasn't drinking anything. I would be surprised if they didn't have widespread XP within the next two years...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Going to be far off for a lot of agencies. The Army organization my company supports JUST went to Windows 7 last week.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The images we use at FLW are mostly windows 7 anymore, although we still have a handful of XP ones.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno