Options

Your opinion about my situation now

viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'd like to get some feedback here on what people think about my current situation here.

I have been working for X company for 6 years. Doing IT work, Cisco switches, wireless, and some router support along with dekstop and network support. I was called for a job interview last week to work for company Z and I think I have the new job pretty much locked in. They called me yesterday and asked for some references and they told me they liked me and would want me to be part of their team. I have not recieve the official "you're hired" talk yet, but I'm 95% sure I have this job.

With my current employer I have no more room to grow, I pretty much reached my max there. I have learned a whole lot there and I'm very thankful for that. The pay was ok, nothing great. The yearly raises were a joke and was not happy with how they gave raises here. They don't give you an increased based on your performance, they only gave you between 3% to 5% increase which was crap. It didn't matter how hard you have busted your rear during the past year. So that really sucked, but the benefits were great. I have full medical, dental, and vision and a good retirement plan too. (Government Job)

My maybe future employer has been around for about 10 years, it's an out-sourcing company with an impressive list of clients. They are a Cisco-Partner too.

Here are the Pros with new job: More $$$ about a 12,500 pay increase, end of year bonus, annual review for your raise, more challenging job, will learn lots more there, 401k, training.

Cons: Only has medical insurance. No dental and vision.

With my current job I have dental, vision, medical.

What would you guys do?

BTW...

I am not married nor do I have kids.
CCNP Security - DONE!
CCNP R&S - In Progress...
CCIE Security - Future...

Comments

• Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    As long as it's decently good medical, I'd make the jump. I don't know how large your family is, but I doubt your vision and dental bills would be greater than 12,500. That's just from the monetary side of it. Sounds like you'd be happier there, so I definitely say pull the trigger on this one.
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go for it man. If you haven't worked anywhere else then your current job it will open your eyes beyond what you would believe.

Also, government jobs are often referred to as retirement jobs cos they are slow moving, low paying jobs. Seriously do it.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768

DO IT!!!!

:D
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I'd go for it! It sounds like a good opportunity.
    Also, government jobs are often referred to as retirement jobs cos they are slow moving, low paying jobs.

I've always heard that too, but that was not the case when I took a gov. job.

I do desktop support and make over 40K plus the benifits are awesome.

Best of luck to you!!
  • Options
    BaredorBaredor Member Posts: 99
    /usr wrote:

DO IT!!!!

:D

Without a doubt. No wife, no kids, go for it.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Just Do IT!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    I think I will take the dive and jump on the new position as soon as they call me and offer it to me. I think it will be a smart choice to make. I know I can learn a lot more and my space for growth will be much greater

About the dental and vision benefits, I have done my research and I can join a discount plan which is actually not bad. I have requested some info from several places I saw online today. We'll see what happens.

Anyone have any experience with those places???

I know change is good, but it's also a pain trying to get all your stuff together for the new job.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    you gotta take this job. you buy many a pc games for 12.5k , lol
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    viper75 wrote:
    Here are the Pros with new job: More $$$ about a 12,500 pay increase, end of year bonus, annual review for your raise, more challenging job, will learn lots more there, 401k, training.

Leave unless you want to waste your life away at a slow paced goverment job. Live a lil bit.
  • Options
    Thanks all for the replies, I have been asking all my friends what would they do and they all tell me the same thing. "Get on the horse!!!" Everyone here has helped me see beyond my current position. I will keep everyone informed of what the final outcome is. Just waiting for the formal "You're hired" call.

Wish me luck!!! icon_cool.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Think about it this way. If you have dental or vision problems in the future you could pay for it out of your pocket because of your salary increase at your new job. They might even offer it at a later time for you also. BUT GO FOR IT>>>GOOD LUCK! :D
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would go for it!!! You can find insurance for Dental and Vision for cheaper than you think. Lots of self-employed people out there, so lots of companies looking to insure them. You wouldn't be self-employed, but you don't have to be. With that kind of raise, you could probably afford a $1000 a year to insure what the job doesn't.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Viper75 wrote:
    With my current employer I have no more room to grow, I pretty much reached my max there.

Here are the Pros with new job: ...more challenging job, ... training.

I think that says it all. Although leaving a company after 6 years is a change that takes serious consideration, you obviously want to get more out of your career, so it seems like a excellent opportunity.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    If I was in your position. I would definitally go with the new company. Especially since you have no kids. But then again, even full medical benefits is awesome if you ask me. Having no vision benefits isn't too bad inless they cover laser eye surgery or something.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.