What are employers looking for?

DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
Hi Guys.

This aint really a CCNA related topic, but i think it is a good thing to sort of dicusss especially for those who have gained a CCNA and looking for a role where they can build up experience (like me!!!), As the title reads what are the employers really looking for, for someone trying to gain the experience?

I mean are there some key must have's on the CV??

Would be really great if some employers could actually answer this as well.

Thanks

Comments

• YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1. capacity to learn
    2. how well you would fit in their environment
    3. soft-skills

Those are some of the skills employers will look for in entry level candidates. *This is not in any particular order*

As far as how to get your resume noticed, you might want to show your resume so the forum members can rip it apart. icon_lol.gif
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    Hahaha i'm just got do a few edits now, and then post it. Just for clarification, i wont be breaking any rules posting my resume on here would i??
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dealing with people & Customer Service. Politics is what Politics is.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• cb3dwacb3dwa Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Will We ever know this? LOL
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Customer Service? Treat people the way you'd want to be treated!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    The key to any successful resume and interview is the ability to sell yourself. I mean, that's basically all a resume is, a one to two page ad about you and the interview is the employer taking out for a test drive. For entry level folk like yourself, get in with a headhunter or temp agency. Build your credentials through that. Seek temp-to-hire type work.

As far as what employers are looking for? Well... be humble about what you know. No one likes a mister-know-it-all. My group managed advised me that I got hired over a few arrogant CCIEs because I stated up front that my credentials only mean I can study well and pass tests but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know. The capacity to learn and to admit that you're human goes a long way. No one wants to work with someone who isn't teachable at any given moment. Even Scott Morris said he wouldn't even claim to know everything and he's a 4xCCIE/2xJNCIE. Be approachable and be willing to make and learn from your mistakes. And most of all, enjoy what you do. Employers look for people who are full of energy. After a few years on a job you'll lose some steam, but if you continue the same path you're now, learning and growing, you're already ahead of the game when it comes to making a rewarding career for yourself.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    People in England don't really view customer service as a big deal compared to the US.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    Thanks a lot, will start applying and keep my fingers crossed.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    People in England don't really view customer service as a big deal compared to the US.
    Of course we do... Its a huge deal, especially when your be dealing with customers. Just to get a job at a retail shop you have to spend hours of time on interviews and doing group activity to demonstrate your communication/CS skills.

If I had to describe what my employer was looking for, it would be teamwork.

As with the CV, keep it to 2 pages max - use bullet points instead of sentences so it doesn't drag on and is easier to read. What a lot of people do is a profile (or whatever you want to call it). Need to make it stand out though. I met someone who works for IBM, she spent a max of 30 seconds reading a CV before putting it into the "no" "yes" or "maybe" pile. A lot go in the no, she allows 2 grammar/spelling mistakes.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Companies may be more relaxed with entry-level roles, as they might not expect them to have high levels of communication and other soft skills. However, they are still important.
    As mentioned above, teamwork is also a big point. Also, the enthusiasm for not just the role but the company is also a good way to help get a job. This can be demonstrated both in the cover letter and in the interview.

Good luck!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • thsouthernthsouthern Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    work as team work
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    oli356 wrote: »
    I met someone who works for IBM, she spent a max of 30 seconds reading a CV before putting it into the "no" "yes" or "maybe" pile. A lot go in the no, she allows 2 grammar/spelling mistakes.

I like her style. I did the same when reviewing resumes icon_cool.gif
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    For IT jobs we let grammar slide. Spelling not so much. For any other admin type rolls its very important to have great grammar so let someone else who's good with it tighten up the errors.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    >> What are employers looking for? <<

1. Non-cheater
    2. $90k knowledge for $45k :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    oli356 wrote: »
    I met someone who works for IBM, she spent a max of 30 seconds reading a CV before putting it into the "no" "yes" or "maybe" pile. A lot go in the no, she allows 2 grammar/spelling mistakes.

How someone can send a CV to a company with grammar / spelling mistakes is beyond me. I am not even English native and I don't have any in mine. Even if I'd be native I certainly would have my CV checked and trible checked.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p