Options

bcedit not working

DJohnsonRoseDJohnsonRose Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a spare machine running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit with 6Gb of RAM installed. I know the 'limit' of ram windows can address is approximately 3.25Gb and so I have tried to run bcdedit /pae to utilise the rest (if you dont know what pae is google physical address extention) but nothing happens? Any help?

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    [h=3]Enabling PAE[/h] Windows automatically enables PAE if DEP is enabled on a computer that supports hardware-enabled DEP, or if the computer is configured for hot-add memory devices in memory ranges beyond 4 GB. If the computer does not support hardware-enabled DEP or is not configured for hot-add memory devices in memory ranges beyond 4 GB, PAE must be explicitly enabled.
    To explicitly enable PAE, use the following BCDEdit /set command to set the pae boot entry option:
    bcdedit /set [{ID}] pae ForceEnable IF DEP is enabled, PAE cannot be disabled. Use the following BCDEdit /set commands to disable both DEP and PAE:
    bcdedit /set [{ID}] nx AlwaysOffbcdedit /set [{ID}] pae ForceDisable
    Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP: To enable PAE, use the /PAE switch in the boot.ini file. To disable PAE, use the /NOPAE switch. To disable DEP, use the /EXECUTE switch.

Physical Address Extension (Windows)