CCNA Lab

spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've finally got myself into the mindset to get my CCNA under my belt. I've actually gone and brought the in60days books and signed up as a member of the site as I'm 100% committed to passing my CCNA now, I've put all excuses in the cupboard until I pass this cert!

I've spent most of the afternoon looking at kit, and have found a supplier who are willing to give me a discount should I buy a few items.

Wondering if anyone can give me an honest opinion/answer as to what kit I should go for based on the below:
Routers
2 x Cisco 1721 or 2611

Switches
1 x 2950T or 3550 PWR/SMI

Basically not really sure if the older kit is still up to scratch for the cert, or if I should just go for 2 x 2611's & 1 3550.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    See my signature.

If you want to go emulation per GNS3 to save router costs, you'll want to invest in switches.

2 Switches will allow you to test:
    Etherchannel and basic STP.

3 Switches:
    VTP, STP (Seeing how switches react while not neighbors.).

I'll warn you ahead of time: Switching is what sank me in ICND2. Switching. Talk about a kick in the balls, I grossly underestimated the importance.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you want to understand blocking, designated ports, etc. than get three switches. Switching is what made me fail the last ICND2 exam.
  • spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm glad that I asked the question now, as I was looking at getting 2 routers and 1 switch. But from your recommendations more switches are needed.

I'll look at getting 2 x 2950's & 1 x 2611, then get a 3550 when going for the 2nd exam
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are going to want at least two routers, maybe three if you want to practice more advanced Frame-Relay/Routing topics.
  • spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok, finally made my mind up, ordering 2 x 2611's and 2 x 2950's. Would go for another router, but limited on space!