CCNA Kit

Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
What do you guys think of this kit to build a CCNA lab?
CertificationKits

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you are better off picking up the equipment on eBay. You will get both cheaper and newer software from eBay. It's also a good learning experience to find out what equipment you will need.
  • Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I may look into that. Thanks for your feedback. I still would like to know opinions of this kit for practicing various labs when studying for the ICND2 exam.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pickup individual equipment! No 'ebay labs'!

Do your homework when it comes with buying off ebay, I've tried to lay some rules out in my thread (in my signature)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Rogue: Thanks for specifying that. I didn't mean to come across as endorsing eBay lab kits.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely piece it together from eBay. That's your best bet. Though, some routers may not be readily available, just wait and perfect ones will show up.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Some people are willing to pay the extra money to get it all at one time, cables etc included. Most thrifty shoppers can save quite a bit on ebay, but it's not for everyone.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I'm chiming in on building your own bundle. While the convenience of purchasing a prebuilt lab may be tempting, many of these sets have geriatric routers and switches (2500, non XM 2600s, etc.) and are priced at a premium. I still see some people on craigslist trying to offload 2501s for $100+. If you're serious about your Cisco learning, you should also be serious about your lab and build one that will grow with you as you progress from CCENT to CCNA to CCNP and eventually CCIE. Just my 2 pings.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jason R wrote: »
    What do you guys think of this kit to build a CCNA lab?
    CertificationKits

I was thinking the same thing 4 months ago. I have a strong desire to build a lab. So Far I have a desire to buy a router along with 3 switches so I can mess around with vlan's and StP icon_lol.gif.

Playing with Packet Tracer helped me figure out what I might purchased.

As you continue your cisco studies, you will feel more comfortable purchasing equipment from places like Ebay.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me it's not even the price of the gear. You'll be getting routers that leave a lot to be desired and you're not gaining the knowledge that comes with the research that goes into piecing together a lab.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is a bit of knowledge you get by doing it yourself...
    1. Upgrading (Hardware, Software)
    2. Managing the Cisco Website to find documentation
    3. Troubleshooting pieces of equipment.
    4. Password Reset.
    5. Previous IOS configurations (It's cool to see what other companies have done)
    6. Handling buying hardware / Addons

There's nothing wrong with buying a kit (ebay or otherwise). It's definitely going to give you what you'll need to pass the certification - All the pieces you need to pass the certification. I argue that your goal shouldn't be "Pass the certification", but rather getting your hands, heads, and heart into what you're doing. Working through frustration of troubleshooting hardware problems (Yes, they do happen). Bad cabling, Incorrect cabling (Just because it has an RJ-45 connector doesn't mean it's a straight-through Cat5)

My main beef with ebay kits are the reliability of the hardware, and that you have to go through different middlemen to 'maybe' get your warranty.

My first time I bought my 3550. It was my first piece of equipment. 400 odd bucks, I believe. Talk about trying to make sure it would work when I got it - I've heard a few horror stories of buying POE equipment on ebay... Yeah, investing days into buying a single product taught me a lot that I'm glad I did. I was scared I'd be another horror story. With my luck, I would be. Let's face it 400 bucks is close to half my paycheck. It would easily be spent towards any number of bills, or the next cert test! Did I sit down and examine all the options? Check websites ebay and otherwise? Hell yes!

Summary: I believe that buying a piece of hardware will not only get you much closer to your lab, it'll make you proud of your lab. You've invested more than a few moments and a lot of money. You've spent time working through problems you didn't encounter and what you may not have been taught. You've gathered each. individual. piece. It is your network. It isn't some canned hardware already packaged on a pallet in a warehouse. It's emotional to you, It's yours and Not mine. That emotional attachment can help you want to learn and use the hardware more.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams