Options

Active Directory multi-label domain name truncated to single label domain name

I have a single domain controller installed with two part domain name, e.g. abc.local. But, I can only see single label from the remote clients in certain windows 7 components such as add domain user to computer.

Also, I only see on single label when trying to add a login in SQL Server 2008 R2.
I searched online but only see one or two articles dealing with this issue. It seems like there are certain services that need to be enabled/started but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    One is the DNS name of the domain (abc.local) the other is the NetBIOS name of the domain (e.g., ABC). Both are required, the latter is used by legacy services primarily.
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    I am not sure I phrased the question well.

How do I configure a Windows 7 and 2008 R2 AD member computers to list full multi-label domain name instead of the single label/NetBIOS name.
    For example in the "Add domain user wizard" under control panel or even with the Local Users and Groups MMC console.

My guess is I need a group policy modification and sart some services.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Some services will default to showing the NetBIOS name instead of the DNS name. I've never seen this cause any problems. Are you experiencing a problem?
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    Some services will default to showing the NetBIOS name instead of the DNS name. I've never seen this cause any problems. Are you experiencing a problem?

It depends on what you mean by problem.... I only see single label instead of multi label. Why can't I see two part label instead of single part?

Does windows Add User window alway show single label or is it just my configuration?
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    Does windows Add User window alway show single label or is it just my configuration?
    In a single domain forest I believe you will always see the single label domain. I imagine it doesn't make any functional difference unless you have child domains. if you *do* have child domains and are using them, you should always see the FQDN of the child domain.
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    In a single domain forest I believe you will always see the single label domain. I imagine it doesn't make any functional difference unless you have child domains. if you *do* have child domains and are using them, you should always see the FQDN of the child domain.

There are no single label domains at all. If it doesn't show multi labels will it show FQDN names for child domains?

P.S.:I had a URL for correctly setting up this but lost it. It listed about seven or more windows services that needed to be started.
  • Options
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Screenshots?
    Thanks astorrs. Just noticed this last reply. Taking a few now. Will edit in a bit.

Here are the screenshots of a few example screens showing a few showing multipart labels and a few showing only single label.

First pic is Windows 7 (Ultimate Edition) locked screen showing two part label for the currently logged in login.

Second pic is Windows Server 2000 R2 (Enterprise Edition) welcome/login screen with two part label.

Third pic is Windows Server 2000 R2 (Enterprise Edition) welcome/login screen showing only one part of the multi-part label.

Fourth shows Windows 7 (Enterprise Edition) locked sceen displays only single label.

Fifth is the "Add User" window of the User Accounts control panel applet.
  • Options
    Thanks astorrs. Just noticed this last reply. Taking a few now. Will edit in a bit.
    Sounds good, I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're seeing. :)
  • Options
    Few More screenshots.

Select User Window Showing two part labels for users.

Add New User Window reverts back to single label after selecting a user in the above window.

I can attach a few more if needed.
  • Options
    Sounds good, I just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're seeing. :)

Thanks, I was suspecting that my post may not have been phrased well and probably well understood with screenshots.

Does the orignal post make more sense now?
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Screen shots made it make sense to me.

I can't explain it, except that I am currently in a multi-domain with multiple child domains off those domains, and what not and I only have one server which is the most recently built server that is coming up with the FQDN. The rest are all just the single label.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    kj0 wrote: »
    Screen shots made it make sense to me.

icon_smile.gif
    I can't explain it, except that I am currently in a multi-domain with multiple child domains off those domains, and what not and I only have one server which is the most recently built server that is coming up with the FQDN. The rest are all just the single label.

Do you mean, you see

1.) single label on computers which are members of a multi-label domain or
    2.) that "rest of all" are actually single label domains?

Thanks.
  • Options
    But the same computer from the fourth screenshot above shows multipart label after CTRL+ALT+DEL.
  • Options
    Okay, all this is perfectly normal. The screenshots are typical (I address the logon ones in a sec), nothing strange about them.

The logon screens are merely the difference between signing on as DOMAIN\User vs. DOMAIN.LOCAL\User vs. user@domain.local. Try logging in explicitly with those different variations and you'll see what I mean.
  • Options
    Okay, all this is perfectly normal. The screenshots are typical (I address the logon ones in a sec), nothing strange about them.

The logon screens are merely the difference between signing on as DOMAIN\User vs. DOMAIN.LOCAL\User vs. user@domain.local. Try logging in explicitly with those different variations and you'll see what I mean.

I can login icon_scratch.gif but there never was a problem logging in with UPN format or just single label domain name appeneded.

And it doesn't explain the single labels on welcome screen without any user login currently.
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    icon_smile.gif

Do you mean, you see

1.) single label on computers which are members of a multi-label domain or
    2.) that "rest of all" are actually single label domains?

Thanks.
    All of the Clients and Servers (but 1) are all single label.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    All of the Clients and Servers (but 1) are all single label.

Thanks kj0.
  • Options
    Again all I can say is this is perfectly normal. Stop thinking of it as this "single label"/"multi-label" thing, one is the DNS name, one is the NetBIOS name - both are perfectly valid ways of showing the domain.

You're thinking there's an issue here and there isn't; it's worked this way for the past 14 years.
  • Options
    Again all I can say is this is perfectly normal. Stop thinking of it as this "single label"/"multi-label" thing, one is the DNS name, one is the NetBIOS name - both are perfectly valid ways of showing the domain.

You're thinking there's an issue here and there isn't; it's worked this way for the past 14 years.

Thanks astorrs.

If I had a subdomain, say sub1.dev.local and computers joined to it, would the above screens show sub1.dev.local, sub1.dev, or sub1?

What happens if I had a domain "local"? I mean if I have "local" domain and have sub-domain "dev" under it?
  • Options
    If I had a subdomain, say sub1.dev.local and computers joined to it, would the above screens show sub1.dev.local, sub1.dev, or sub1?
    sub1.dev.local or SUB1 (assuming you're going with the defaults and don't override the NetBIOS name)
    What happens if I had a domain "local"? I mean if I have "local" domain and have sub-domain "dev" under it?
    So you can't use a DNS name for you domain that is a TLD. You have to use <domain>.<tld> which could be DOMAIN.LOCAL or DOMAIN.COM or whatever. Subdomains could be SUB.DOMAIN.LOCAL, etc.

The NetBIOS names for those (again assuming the defaults) would be DOMAIN, DOMAIN, and SUB.