Options

Broadband UK provider experince

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Easy one, I have decided to change from Virgin as to be honest there service is pants. They have reset there super hub router more times than I care to remember, and the wireless on it is truly terrible! there response to me was to put it in to modem mode and attach my own router. Any company who supply's equipment and then suggests to you its not fit for purpose in my mind is one its not worth staying with. If I could chuck there's in the bin and install my own I would be happy, but that fact is I am tied in to use it.

So now I have canceled my account I am looking for a good replacement.

My thoughts are

BT
SKY
Plusnet
Talktalk
other

Any thoughts on these, good or bad experiences ?

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm in the US, but your story reminds me of an issue I had with the FiOS provided equipment. If comes with wifi and I initially turned it on for use. I noticed static on my phones (all in one service) and started trying different things. Turned off the wifi and the static went away. Weird.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The best thing they do is run automatic updates to the firmware. this kindly resets your settings to factory default. Fine for the average user, but a pain the the rear when you have spent time setting up port forwarding and traffic rules. then there is the fact it its meant to move wireless channels to avoid interference. The 3 other virgin routers and mine (mine is defiantly set to move) all run on channel 6 :) and leave other channels completely free. Oh and then there's the fact I stream TV through my PS3. I can be sitting there with my wife, both with phones and laptops. the TV will freeze and start to buffer, we look at our phones and either the wireless has dropped out, or the wireless is fine but the router drops is connection to the ISP.. Happens with out fail at least 2 or three times per hour, not good when you are trying to watch stuff.

Do you get the feeling I not happy with them :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    nXPLOSinXPLOSi Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used BT for sometime, recently upgrading to Infinity, and I can honestly say I couldn't be happier with the service and speeds I get.

At work we use Demon, who are a nightmare on every level you can imagine! Although the speeds and reliability has improved in the last year or so, the customer service is terrible, probably even getting worse as far as i'm concerned! Unfortunately we're kind of stuck with them for the time being, so I have to just count to 10, or 100... icon_cool.gif
    Twitter - ClarkFx
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I always put ISP equipment in pass-through mode. Unless you are under a business contract they give you the cheapest bulk-purchased crap they can find. In fact, I suggest people buy either a DSL or cable modem on their own instead of renting the ISP garbage.