Options

M$ Woes

(This is here cause it has nothing to do with the 70-680 so much as general IT

So

I bit the bullet (and my pride) and acknowledged that there is no way I will be ready for my January 14th 70-680. I paid the $35.00 fee to move it back as far as possible while I re-evaluate my study methods. This exam has been a bane for a year now, as I have already failed it twice, despite feeling very confident about the information within the testing topics provided by Microsoft.

I am starting to wonder if I have burned myself on Microsoft and am just fooling myself into thinking I already know the material. I would hate to drop the material so close to my goal, but I feel like I might learn another (non-M$) topic much better than I currently am with the 70-680 despite enjoying the labs I am doing. I am starting class next week at the local community college and have a 70-680 course and a Net + course and think I might have better luck with the instructor.

Just curious when / if you guys consider taking a break from a topic (or technology/vendor/etc) or if you push through it and how.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I took a break from my MCITP studies at the time for about 3 or 4 months as I kept failing practice exams, during that time, I just sat down one day, signed up and did my Apple cert exam. Passed straight away. It was a good motivation to know I can eventually finish my MS.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can relate to your situation (as I'm sure many other people can too), there's the real-world way and the Microsoft way of answering a question. Maybe that's why you have stumbled twice. If it makes you feel any better, I passed my 70-647 after 3 tries, but I kept at it because I needed to be an MCITP: EA. I reckon you've picked up a difficult exam to start off with, the 680 is not just a client exam and certainly no pushover. It encompasses server technologies and unless you've worked (or labbed up) on servers too, the exam isnt going to be easy.

I suggest you keep on the Microsoft route, but perhaps pick up a server exam to take next. Keep the 680 for later, or maybe look for an easier exam to fulfil the client requirement for the MCSA/MCITP. A server level exam will be a good change of pace and you should enjoy it more. I may have suggested to you the VCP, but that may not be a good idea just yet for you. Good luck with whatever you do!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com