Passed ICND1/CCENT

ds32118ds32118 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Long time reader, first time poster :).

I wanted to share some of my experience with the CCENT exam as I was able to pass today with an 899.

I used the following materials to prepare:
Wendell Odom's Official Cert Guide (Primary book)
Todd Lammle's CCENT Guide (Secondary book to fill in the gaps)
Boson Practice Exams
Subnettingquestions.com

I read Odom's book cover to cover, but skipped the subnetting portions as I learned from a video series on youtube by Kiel Martin, it comes in 7 parts I believe. Odom's book was very dry so it was somewhat of a tough read compared to Lammle's book.

To make sure I could subnet quickly, I did about 10-15 minutes per day of subnettingquestions.com.

I used the Boson CCENT practice exams and found them to be much more difficult than the actual exam itself.

Comments

• 101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. icon_thumright.gif

I assume that ICND2 is up next?
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • ds32118ds32118 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Correct, I am starting on that this week and hope to sit the exam in about 4-5 weeks. I am fortunate enough to work in a role where I work on routers/switches.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
    Congrats! :) How long did you study for CCENT?
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
    I studied for about 3 weeks and the first week was the heaviest. I spent the first week getting familiar with the lab portions such as RIP and read Odom`s book. The next 2 weeks I was just reading Lammle`s book and taking practice exams to find my weak points.

I will say that next to subnetting, LAN switching is the most crucial part of the exam. Understanding the MAC address table and how it is populated is extremely beneficial.
  • canojcanoj Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck on icnd 2!
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nicely done.

I saw a ccent book on amazon from Lammle which was released in 2008, is that the one you used?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    Yes, ISBN # is 9780470247020.