Options

stale CCNP R&S

I took the CCNP back when it was (4) test. I've been hardcore Cisco Voice for the past 5 years. I'm being transitioned over to Data Center, i.e. Nexus, VMware, F5, Riverbed, etc... I never realized that getting back ramped up on Route & Switch would be this difficult. I've been burning the late night hours going over basic stuff like Spanning-Tree and HSRP.

I'm having flashbacks of how difficult studying for the CCNA was. I got a small lab of (4) routers and (4) switches at home. My goal is to get back comfortable with R&S again. The problem is now most clients have staff that do their R&S work, so they're pretty knowledgeable. Since, I'm consulting on Data Center now I need to get back up to speed.

How many hours per week do you guys commit to reading, lab, etc for CCNP or CCIE R&S written/lab? I may want to study enough to pass the CCIE R&S, but CCNP Data Center does look like a pretty good cert too.
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Comments

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Hours will depend on how much you are willing to sacrifice.
    Personally, I spend 4 hours Monday to Friday. 6-8 hrs on Saturday and 8 - 12hrs on Sunday.
    Life will hit that schedule like, family, car need to be fixed, grocery, etc aka life.

I would think that catching up wouldn't be that bad as learning it the first time.
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I'd really recommend doing NP Datacenter and F5 Training over doing your CCIE R&S. Working on your weak points is going to help you on the job a lot more. What's CCIE R&S going to do from a job performance standpoint that NP wouldn't? It will make you an expert at things you are already pretty good at, whereas Datacenter, F5, Riverbed, etc will make you proficient at things you likely have zero knowledge of.

Just my 2c.