Options

a couple of lab setup questions

irexirex Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I mostly studied for my CCNA using PacketTracer and have limited hardware experience. Passed it my second try but several months have passed and I've forgot some things. Im setting up my CCNP lab and feeling less than good about my lack of hardware experience. So far I have 2621XM, a 2620XM, and a 2811 routers. All of these would have 12.4 capability. The only router with 12.4 is the 2811. Are different 12.4 versions hardware specific or can i move the image from I model to another? The Packettracer simulated router I used most often was 1841. Its a bit more expensive than some of the other 12.4 capable routers but I would like to have one in my lab regardless.

If I buy a Cisco 1841 with a 12.4 T (24) T1 Advanced IP services could I copy that to a TFTP and put it on my other 12.4 capable routers?
My Route lab book also mentions that comparable IOS 12.4 versions are acceptable. Where would i go about discovering which versions this includes?

Big Thx

Comments

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I'm not sure if that's possible since I do believe IOS is hardware specific. The big daddy IOS is Advanced Enterprise, which contains everything. Certain platforms do not support certain things like BGP or VoIP.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As Somnipotent stated, the IOS files are platform specific. You would have to obtain the files for each device.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    suprchgtntsuprchgtnt Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You actually have a nice little lab started, but before you buy gear I would first decide how far you want to go.
    If your looking to stop after the CCNP than you really only need to add a couple 3550 and something that can be used as a frame relay switch (2522 or a 2600/3600 with a NM4 A/S module) All together your looking at 600ish- on eBay.

If you want, or even think you want to get an IE number than I would go ahead and buy 3560, or 3750's instead of the 3550. I was looking to do my NP on the cheap so I bought 3550's Which i had to replace when I built my CCIE Rack- being cheap cost me an extra 500-
    You'll also need to snap up a couple more 1841's and 2825's if you go after the IE, but those you can pickup as your working thru you NP.

IOS is hardware specify and you will need the adv ent services image for the NP and IE. There are few ways to get the image. 1-Have a valid support contact on the gear- not gonna happen unless you buy the gear from an authorized Cisco re-seller and that will triple the cost.2- snag it from a device at work 3- buy a device that already has it installed

Cisco has a tool that can tell you the difference between IOS versions Cisco.com Login Page