It has been 2 years since I took the CCENT...

jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
for WGU, but the icnd2 wasn't required. I put it on the back burner. Now it is time where I should get the CCNA. Since it has been so long I am rather rusty and don't work on Cisco equipment everyday. Should I take the composite exam? Or can I just push through the the 2nd part? I am just worried that I have been away from it for so long I forgot the basics.

Note: Part of my job is networking but mostly HP and Sonicwall. Money isn't an issue either since work pays for it.
WGU grad

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    If I was worried I may have forgotten stuff, I'd just go back and refresh the material. Do some labs and get my head back into it. Seems easier than trying to take the composite and possibly not passing. Hedge your bet and go back through the materials.
  • suitsonfiresuitsonfire Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in the same exact boat right now. I have not touched anything Cisco since I passed my CCENT over two years ago and am now studying for the ICND2 as I really want the CCNA before the CCENT expires. I would suggest just focusing on the ICND2 objectives instead of doing the composite. If we were able to pass the first one we know what we need to do to pass the second part. Hit the books and sims/labs!
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Question, why look to gain a certification that is not relative to your actual position? You are the product of what I am getting at, you are a CCENT that doesn't work on Cisco gear and it's been 2yrs and you forgot everything.

My question is, why study to pass for your CCNA if you are going to forget it all later? You can only retain and expand your knowledge through consistent exposure.

Just wondering
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCENT is still the basis for the CCNA. If you've forgot CCENT material, I don't think going for the CCNA in a one-shot chance is going to work too well. Sure, it could work, and you saved your Certification... but if you've really forgot how to subnet, You really will need to go back over the material to what it was when you successfully passed your CCENT.

Although, if you've passed the Cisco exam, I'm sure you've ingrained Subnetting so thick into your gray matter it's a tattoo in the back of your skull :P

I need to ask the same thing as RouteMyPacket: It's been two years and you haven't tried to retain (Through using, or self-studying periodically) or expanding your knowledge with Cisco/Juniper (In before people say "It's a different vendor"). It might be worthwhile to just not go for the certification and let it lapse.

I can understand why you would want to keep it. You either have hope for the future, or your company requires it. If it's either, or... Go for the CCENT, first. Then goto ICND2. If your company is paying for it - pass or fail. Go CCNA composite.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    It's all about keeping your options open....

I don't work with Cisco gear either, but hey....I'm young and never know what direction my career will take me. People ask why study for it if you're going to forget it. You won't ever forget ALL of it since you have to recertify every 3 years. I'm currently studying for the NA:S to renew my NA:R&S. I feel like its a good move because we use ASAs in our infrastructure. I'm not responsible for them today, but I might want to be later. As long as you have to time to pursue things relevant to your position as well, what's the harm?

Off topic, but I think the world would be a better place if every Sys Admin had CCNA level knowledge......
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Pretty much what xenodamus said. I am trying to keep my options open. I am not 100 percent happy where I am at and I would like to be prepared if something else came along. It is not that I didn't want to do it earlier. School and life just got in the way. I appreciate all the input.
    WGU grad
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Soon, we'll see "CCNA" in your certs list, jmasterj206!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams