Why does EIGRP not use delegated router?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
I read OSPF introduces a role of designated router in a multi-access network. It's for efficiency of communications. I got it. However, it seems like EIGRP faces a similar situation? Then why does EIGRP not have designated router?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The term is designated router. The way OSPF operates is different than EIGRP. OSPF routers need to synchronize their databases and build their map of the network off of that. EIGRP routers on the other hand only pass best routes so there is not as much protocol information to share therefore you wouldn't be saving any information with a designated router type role in EIGRP.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    lol i just started google-ing delegated router then! I was well concerned i'd not covered it!!
  • johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    The term is designated router. The way OSPF operates is different than EIGRP. OSPF routers need to synchronize their databases and build their map of the network off of that. EIGRP routers on the other hand only pass best routes so there is not as much protocol information to share therefore you wouldn't be saving any information with a designated router type role in EIGRP.

Hah. Apologies for the typo first. Since eigrp and ospf are both quiet protocols, should hello packet be the major traffic? If so, it seems eigrp also needs to improve on this...
    Hello packets are multicast in these situations so hello traffic is not reduced by the DR (designated router) in OSPF or EIGRP if it had such an implimentation. All routers continue to maintain neighbor relationships anyway. They just do not proceed to the point of database synchronization.
    Hello packets are multicast in these situations so hello traffic is not reduced by the DR (designated router) in OSPF or EIGRP if it had such an implimentation. All routers continue to maintain neighbor relationships anyway. They just do not proceed to the point of database synchronization.

With DR elected, the number of hello packets is reduced since a non-DR router only needs to send hello to DR
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This would be true on a NBMA network only.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    How about broadcast?
    Nope, doesn't decrease hello traffic in a broadcast domain. As I said earlier all routers still maintain neighbor relationships and exchange hello packets. The neighbor relationship stops at the 2way status and do not exchange database information.
    I'm noted... But does this mean a multi-access network interface would implicitly maintain another internal table for 2-way "neighbors" other than the neighbor table?
    No, they are kept in the same neighbor table. Labbing this up and debugging or using wireshark would really help you understand.