Options

Transitioning to an environment with old end of life equipment

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Recently I transitioned to another position receiving some really janky equipment.

Obviously not a deal breaker but the machines are old and slow. No dual monitor either, I am seriously considering bringing in another monitor from home. I have a spare 22 inch Dell just sitting around.

Anyway I'm sure a lot of people have experienced this. I was running a 4310 Dell with 8GB Win 7 64 bit to a 6400 Dell with 4 GB and XP. O brother it's brutal lol

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I remember the Dell 6400 from a couple years ago icon_smile.gif

I went through that once. Requested a new laptop after a few weeks and got it like a month later. During that time I used my own personal laptop for some work stuff.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You just tell them you need a new machine to properly do your job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm actually at the point that what equipment I get would be a factor of accepting a job. If I applied for a new job, I would want to know. My current job gave me decent enough hardware, but it was a problem at my last job and was pretty frustrating.

I would absolutely refuse to work on that machine. I can find another job that gives me the equipment I need to function productively. A good $1,100 worth of hardware gets dual widescreens, Core i5, 8GB, SSD at retail OEM prices. For what they're paying you and what you're doing there's no way they can't justify a small hardware expenditure.

If it's a small shop with some flexibility, I would see about BYOD with a stipend/partial reimbursement. I personally would use my own laptop for work if they would cover warranty and insurance.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My work machine is a Core i7, 8GB machine, Dell effort. Got dual screens, but the keyboards and mice are junk.

I bought a second Filco Majestouch keyboard just to bring to work and I am glad that I did. If I'm going to be working 12 hours a day/night then I'd rather just spend the money and get something decent than use junk