Options

Server 2012 as a daily driver?

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Hey all,

Just curious of what you guys think about deploying Windows Server 2012 as my main OS for my desktop computer. I have an interest in learning the OS to the point of certification and I think this would be a great way to get to know the ins-and-outs. Normally I use a dual boot or a VM, but I find it far too easy to select the OS I am use to as opposed to selecting the new one. Thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have not looked into 2012 as a desktop OS, but I found that with some tweaks, Server 2003 operated as an effective desktop OS.

However, I don't think operating it as your primary OS is really necessary. From an interface standpoint, you won't really learn much. Your day-to-day tasks won't give you exposure to the server components you'll want to learn. Personally, if and when I lab 2012, I'll install it on a physical box for Hyper-V, then create a number of VMs to create a lab environment that includes every role that I can practically implement.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I've been using it as my Desktop OS for about 2 months now, it's great, I did install a start menu as seeing as it isn't a touch screen, the Metro (or whatevrer it's called) seemed pointless, but it certainly deals with processes and Memory utilisation a lot better than Windows. (not sure how well Win 8 does that these days, but Server '08 was much better than win7 at that)

Check out Convert your Windows Server 2012 to a Workstation! it has a lot of information and custom app to set up your server to be a Desktop.

I'm happy to help you more if you need it.

I found trying to install Driver:San Francisco the other night a little bit of an adventure, but if you put the install setup.exe file as Administrator and Win7 compatibility, it works well. Little things like that, that don't work, seem simple to fix.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am sure it works great. I did with with Windows Server 2003 and ran that for quite some time. I was not happy with XP and I also thought that running Server 2003 was a good way to be more familiar with my work, as I dealt with servers and not workstations.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used to do the same with 2003, since the kernel was different from XP, although later on I switched to XP 64 bit, wich had the same kernel as 2003 64 bit, but starting with 2008, the kernels for the server and client are the same, just like it was before with NT and 2000. So, if you install the server and then change the settings according to the guide, you'll end up with the same Vista, 7 or 8 client system...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You will have problems with programs that only install on workstations though. Brother printers and many free for home use software packages.
  • Options
    j23evanj23evan Member Posts: 135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been using it on all my home lab servers and I really like it. I installed it to learn the ends and outs for the cert with the intentions of moving back to Server 2008R2 and I enjoy it so well that I have kept it. I've done the same for SharePoint 2013 and ... I need to downgrade, I really don't like it or SharePoint Designer 2013.
    https://vWrong.com - Microsoft Certified Trainer 2013-2018 - VMware vExpert 2014-2018 - Cisco Champion 2018 - http://linkedin.com/in/j23evan/
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    netsysllc wrote: »
    You will have problems with programs that only install on workstations though. Brother printers and many free for home use software packages.

That's the main concern really. Server OS' are designed to be rock solid. That is what they usually are. I always used a server OS as main OS, even back in the 2000 days. But yes, some program's simply don't run on server as they make programs free only for personal use. Some AV program's are a good example (AVG Free). But to be honest, I always had a VM for certain workstation tasks (converting movies etc.).

So my opinion : go for it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I woudln't suggest using it as your main desktop. That's not really going to help you get a windows server certification as you'll still only be using it to do desktop related tasks. Labbing with windows server will help you get a cert but you'd be better off just using VMs as some of the labs would require multiple instances of windows server. You'll also need to become familiar with server core as well.