Options

Need Advice- Career Change to IT-Certification Questions

windycity84windycity84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All!

I am currently in Marketing and Sales, and would like to move into IT. I have my BA in Communication, I'm 28 years old, and eventually I want to move into a DBA role. I do not plan on going back for another degree, but instead focus on certifications. I was told to look into CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications. From my own research, I was also looking into the MCTS cert "Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance," MySQL 5 Certified Associate Exam, and the MCITP.

What do you guys think? Are these obtainable without experience working in IT? Could I just self study and pass?

Any other certs you recommend based on my goal to become a DBA?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You did not mention what degree(s), if any, you have. If none, perhaps pursuing a BA/BS or (if you have one already) an MA/MS *and* pursue specific certifications along the way. Just a thought. In a formal degree program you could get internship opportunities. If in a Masters program, then a graduate/research assistantship gives you a full tuition waiver (at most brick and mortar schools) a stipend (and experience along with references) and, along the way, you could pick up certifications that will help you achieve your goal.

Again, just my thoughts. Good luck!
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Those are all obtainable studying yourself. However even if you had every cert you listed combined with no experience in IT, don't be surprised if you take a massive pay cut for your first IT job coming from sales/marketing.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    windycity84windycity84 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea I expected to take a cut. Would this put me on the right track for a DBA role? I know it won't come easy, but I have the dedication. Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    The 3 CompTIA certs would be a good start. I'd be willing to bet your first IT position will have nothing to do with database administration. No company is going to let someone touch their database systems that has to experience. Getting the Network, Security, and Linux certs would get you in the door somewhere, probably in a helpdesk type role. And from there you can try to progress toward your DBA goal.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    broke_it_guybroke_it_guy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was offered a role working with databases full time based on my programming coursework and past work references. This was for a branch of a large company. Basically, they said they were willing to train me on the specifics but they wanted someone who knows the basics of programming and data structures, etc. They also planned to have me work with their C developers on other projects. Since you already have a degree, you may find it is possible to complete a second degree using some of your existing credits. I'm not sure about getting into a Masters program with a degree from an unrelated field, I would think they may require you to do some additional course work first. It's also possible to sign up for just the relevant courses and combine that with certifications for the specific skills you will need. I don't do this type of work, so sorry I cannot be more specific.