Options

DeVry University

kikaida2005kikaida2005 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is this a good university? Can't really find any reviews on them.

Comments

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    We used to say "only the retards" go there. but just kidding. don't jump. it's just that we loved to make fun of the name. but it's not a bad place to go unless you can afford to go to better places.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    jaeusmjaeusm Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It depends on what you want to do. If you want to gain practical skills, it's a good place to go. If you want to conduct research in networking, choose a traditional university.

I spent 9 years in a research-oriented university for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. The downside was that I learned very few practical skills while there and most of the faculty seemed to favor theory over practice. Since you're probably interested in entering the IT field, I'd recommend DeVry.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend tech schools over CS or EE schools for IT
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    I would say go to a regular CS or EE school. Unlike the poster above. But, a question is if you have the time? If you get an EE (Electronic Engineering degree) then you do exactly what true engineers do... but can you spend 5 years finishing it? Versus, going to DeVry University which is just a popular Uni that is accredited but pushes you through the classes so you can get a BS degree. This program will take 2.5 years.

I personally started in a traditional engineering college then graduated from DeVry. (The job said they would let me go if I didnt have a degree) and then finished my schooling at the Engineering college. I thought DeVry was a waste of time but it did get the job done. A lot of employers understand that going to get a degree in one of the "DeVry" type schools are common due to the need for the degree. But, I think it was worth my time to finish in a traditional college to make sure prospective employers to think ill of a "DeVry" type of school.
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."
  • Options
    fualkerfualker Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Shoot for the traditional 4 year degree. I do agree that it wont help you out in the practical experience field, but it shows employers the you have the comintment needed to complete a degree. Its a bigger deal than I original thought before I was job searching.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i went there for ee and I'm doing just fine.....
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Do they give degrees or diplomas there just wondering?
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    I'm going to Community College right now to finish my Associates in Arts, then I was going to attend a traditional university for my B.A but I've wondered for a while about Devry and I really need a higher degree.

How much are classes and how much financial aid can one get? I didn't make jack last year and my classes right now in Community College are paid in full.

They also give a laptop, correct?
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Im getting my Bachlor's and it's very expensive...tuition,books, and $125 monthly for tech support.[/b] Small classrooms, excellent professors and labs. However, it would be a degree in Professional studies, not a B.S. They dont tell you that until your almost done though.
  • Options
    So you pay 125 each month for tech support? Is that a manadatory charge? Also, I've heard it's around 11,000 per year but I should get a great deal percentage off.

I would like to know if I can find out how much I get off before I actually apply, I don't want them harrassing me to sign up and I know they will.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ITT Tech is about 15,000 a year.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recommend the community colleges. They give you the technical skills but you still get a liberal arts degree which helps with the soft skills. The associate degree credits can also be applied to another institution if you plan to get a bachelors later on.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sup all,

I'm currently attending Univ. of Phoenix and its gona cost about 29,000 for 2 years. I'm halway through and thinking about switching to maybe Devry or another private university that will take my units. Talked to Devry, lady told me its about 16K/year.....right now Phoenix is costing me about almost the same but I'm weighing my options cuz I don't like the quality of education at Phoenix.
  • Options
    Well, I've been to University of Phoenix and what really turned me off was no hands on at all. I don't like that one bit, that reminds of my last college which is just straight book reading and teaching me nothing about the parts of a network.

I think UOP is primary for older folks just seeking a advanced degree, I wouldn't attend there if I was in the process of getting a job.

I would attend devry personally, I know for a fact they give plently of hands on training, cost is very expensive but I've heard they have some decent placement for their graduates.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would have to say a traditional college is always going to be better. Just the well rounded education it can give you. Also, employers sometimes look for Alums when hiring. A traditional college is going to have alot more Alums in the local area that a smaller private school...

Just food for though.
  • Options
    Traditional Colleges are good but were I messed up badly was attending a For-profit College for my Associates in Science. I go to Community College now becuase the 4 year University told me I needed to take some classes that I missed that are required there and I later found out that my Community College only accepted 18 credits outta 60. Of course at my age I am not going to get another 102 credits to attain my bachelors so I am dropping out after this semester and most likely try to find some quick job training at a local Technical Center or attend another For-Profit University like Devry that will accept most of my credits from the other college.

I also notice that most Public University seem to have alot of idiots who don't know what the hell they are doing, I haven't seen such idiots who have no clue what is going on, I must have spoke to at least 5 people just to find out how many credits will transfer over, each gave me a different answer.
  • Options
    QUIX0TICQUIX0TIC Member Posts: 277
    You can say that about any "For-Profit" or state affilliated school. I attended DeVry and I would still recommend anyone to go through a traditional school!
    "To realize one's destiny is a person's only obligation."