Options

Do you follow a "system" when entering commands?

CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone has a routine of commands that they enter no matter what, whether the problems calls for it or not, and in the exact order every time. I'm in a CCNA boot camp this week and often times find myself wondering if I entered this command, that command, etc.. It seems easiest to just have an exact routine of commands, memorize it, and enter everything in within a couple of minutes. If so, would anyone mind sharing theirs if it's on a document? I am creating one now but I'm still really new to CCNA so remembering every command that I need is a little difficult. Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I don't really have a set list of commands I look at everytime I log in. It more depends on what I'm doing really.

When changes are made though I do prefer to have a script log in and do pre/post status captures of a long list of commands. That way if something happens to go wrong you have nice output to compare, or info to send to your vendor if you need to open a case.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Networker: What do you use for scripting? A certain language, batch-file, program?
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Doesn't he just mean a script in notepad: So you do all the config in notepad and then paste it into the program you're using (putty for example). That's what most people mean when they say script, at least in my office.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, that's why I was curious. I thought most Network Admins used Notepad.
  • Options
    FuturaFutura Member Posts: 191
    A lot of my sites have a very similar config, so I have another sites config open and pick and chose out of that.

I also notice gaps in config and know that something is missing from there.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In class we are building networks with 5+ routers, so memorizing* a set "script" of commands(you know the usual..hostnames, banners, passwords, telnet/ssh, etc) to enter as soon as I enter the CLI seems like a good idea to save time and not constantly second guess myself(I don't want to just copy my config over from one router to the others since the repetition helps me learn) ..but is this a waste of time for when I take the exam?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think you should have a set script of commands you enter no matter what the problem calls for because it could interfere with fixing the problem. Sure I like to have logging sync configured under vty lines and other minor commands like that, but I wouldn't automatically change anything that has to do with logins or usernames.

I especially wouldn't want to waste my time typing in extra stuff in a real exam because that's time you could spend answering the question. You don't get style points.

I do have a basic template of commands I like all of my equipment configured with initially before going into production, but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking or not.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Perl scripts usually. I'm not good at writing them myself, but I know enough to make modifications and small tweaks.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.