Options

6500 VSS VSL link

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
hi very quick question,

can you run VSS between two 6500's with out using an ether-channel? Just using a single 10Gig link?

I know the suggestion is to use two 10gig links, however due to timing issues the 10GIG cards will not be here for a while, so I was wondering if it is possible to run with a single link that I can up grade in a few months to add in the second link.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    srgsrg Member Posts: 140
    You'll probably be able to run it as a port-channel with only one member link and add additional links later.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yea- should be no problem- the only thing I've ever heard is they "recommend" two 10G's as you mentioned..not that it requires two. I'm sure you're on top of it, but I'd definitely advise the customer of the inherent risk (even if slight) of running one 10G vs. the recommend two 10G's. The chances of it failing before you configure two may be slim, but you don't want that to come back and bite you later.

Let us know either way..it'd be good to know!
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cool cheers for the reasurance.

I will be getting two 10gig modules (1 each in the next few months)

but for now I want the two 6500's to have a 10gig link together and use the other 10gig link to go to TOR switchs. So TOR has two redundant 10Gig back to core. The second 6500 will not actually see much traffic untill the 2 new line cards come, and some more services get placed in the second server room. But setting up VSS now just means that I can configure the logical set up, then when the rest of the kit comes I can just add in the second redundant link for VSS.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Absolutely- sounds good man!

Remind me of a nightmare I had a few months ago..installed a 6500 VSS core for a customer..wouldn't you know it, the ASIC that controls the uplinks on the SUP was bad right out of the box. I should clarify, it worked...just not well. Big headache to troubleshoot since the link was up, but traffic was severely degraded and it wasn't limited to one port.