Options

BOSON Static Route Q, surely it can't be right?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Morning,

come across this question in the Practice BOSON questions for CCENT:

In the small internet shown in the diagram, the network manager has decided that the routers should not use a dynamic routing protocol, instead using static routes. Examine the exhibit and choose the commands required to configure static routes that will allow both routers to forward packets to the LAN subnets connected to the other router.

Please see attached image.

My answers were B and F. But according BOSON it is wrong, the answers should be B and E. Is this wrong?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    B and E look right to me. It does look it should be exiting out of s0/0/1
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    On R1 S0/0/0 has been shutdown.
  • Options
    for R1 to get to R2 right side, R1 needs a static address for it. Which is 'ip route 10.10.40.1 255.255.255.248.0 S0/0/0'. S/0/0/0 is the interface its going through. That's my understanding.

Why would the interface be R1's S0/0/1?
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    'ip route 10.10.40.1 255.255.255.248.0 S0/0/0' - This statement is saying S0/0/0 is the local interface which the router will be exiting to get to the 10.10.40.0/21 network, which will result in data being dropped as this interface is shut down. When you specific the interface your referencing a local interface, when you specify an IP address you referencing a remote IP address. Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If both serial interfaces were up, you could potentially use both. However, S0/0/0 is shutdown and only giving you one viable option for a route.
  • Options
    atorven wrote: »
    'ip route 10.10.40.1 255.255.255.248.0 S0/0/0' - This statement is saying S0/0/0 is the local interface which the router will be exiting to get to the 10.10.40.0/21 network, which will result in data being dropped as this interface is shut down. When you specific the interface your referencing a local interface, when you specify an IP address you referencing a remote IP address. Hope that makes sense.

does make sense. thanks
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    there is a serial link between the routers on the 192.168.1.0/30 subnet.
    R1 has the ip address 192.168.1.1 and R2 is on 192.168.1.2. They are directly connected to each other. Each router has their own LAN and in order to get to each other's LANs they have to use each other as the next hop. The serial interface 0/0/1 is R1's local interface which it must use in order to reach the 10.10.40.0/21 subnet on R2 across the WAN.
    Sometimes when you have questions like this I find it easier just to draw it out in my mind.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.