Network Settings: Configuring IPv4 with netsh

DumpledorkDumpledork Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am stumped on one question in Chapter 6 of the MS Press 70-680 book. On page 327 question #4:

"You have created a statically configured wired subnet 10.0.10.128/25. Currently, the only device on the subnet is a router with the IPv4 address 10.0.10.129. You plug a computer in to the ethernet port on the subnet. What command configures the computer correctly on the subnet?"

I don't understand why the correct answer is B:

"netsh interface IPv4 set address "local area connection" static 10.0.0.162 255.255.255.128 10.0.10.129"

I saw nothing in the erratica. Is 10.0.0.162 the host IP address and will it work with a gateway address of 10.0.10.129? Will that subnet work? It looks like a class C subnet, not a class A. In reviewing the history, I see this question has been brought up before, but I haven't seen any mention of whether it's a typo or not. I used to know a little about subnetting and the book only has scant coverage of it - it's possible I've just forgot it all. Could anyone who knows more verify? Is this sort of subnetting essential to passing the exam; will I need to unearth my CCNA book and review it all again?

Comments