Options

Just passed CCNA Security

mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
I scored a 938/100! So happy I finally got this exam over with. Not sure what I'm going to do next though. Don't make sense for me to work towards a CCNP with no experience. I work in IT field as computer technician though. I'm trying to get my foot in the door with a networking job but it has not been easy. Thinking should I try and pick up some microsoft certs.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats! Don't let the lack of experience get you down. Keep applying and someoen will give you a chance. Everyone got their start somewhere!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats! working on some microsoft definitely can't hurt. i'm considering heading the MCSA route after my CCNA just to round things out and keep my options open.
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ha, welcome to the 938 club! I scored this on Wednesday when I did the exam :)

Congrats
  • Options
    marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats ! You might want to start building a career in security
  • Options
    I have to get my foot in the door somewhere before I can do that though.
  • Options
    fadhilfadhil Member Posts: 200
    congrats on pass
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Congratulations! Nothing is stopping you from working on CCNP while you look for an entry-level job. There is much more to routing and switching than the ccna.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice. What did you use to study?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    agcls2309agcls2309 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! how did you fell about the test? was it as expected?
  • Options
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    Congratulations! Nothing is stopping you from working on CCNP while you look for an entry-level job. There is much more to routing and switching than the ccna.

I always hear that having a CCNP without experience is uselss and frowned upon.
  • Options
    I felt the test was pretty straightforward. I used the cisco press official cert guie, cbt nuggets and gns3.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats mallyg27! I will be sitting for the Sec+ soon and look forward to the CCNA and CCNA:S as you just got!
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    I always hear that having a CCNP without experience is uselss and frowned upon.

It doesn't mean you can't be that "CCNA" with a lot of technical know-how. Afterall, You have your CCNA; it's required for the CCNP. You can just put down "CCNA".

Think of it this way, a certification is just a design for what you should learn at that level. Just because it's frowned upon, doesn't mean you have to suddenly stop your knowledge and expanding your understanding of what's happening. However, this is a great way to stay stagnant. The journey of learning and enjoying is what's important. That "CCNP"-title is just the icing to a very large, German Chocolate & Red Velvet cake with french vanilla ice cream on the side.

My point: Don't come out of the gate with a CCIE certification and no experience/degree and expect a six-figure salary. Likewise, CCNP without experience may be frowned upon, don't rely on those letters and flash them around like a large Network God. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people that'll want to tear you "Cisco Man" down a few pegs! ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    It doesn't mean you can't be that "CCNA" with a lot of technical know-how. Afterall, You have your CCNA; it's required for the CCNP. You can just put down "CCNA".

Think of it this way, a certification is just a design for what you should learn at that level. Just because it's frowned upon, doesn't mean you have to suddenly stop your knowledge and expanding your understanding of what's happening. However, this is a great way to stay stagnant. The journey of learning and enjoying is what's important. That "CCNP"-title is just the icing to a very large, German Chocolate & Red Velvet cake with french vanilla ice cream on the side.

My point: Don't come out of the gate with a CCIE certification and no experience/degree and expect a six-figure salary. Likewise, CCNP without experience may be frowned upon, don't rely on those letters and flash them around like a large Network God. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people that'll want to tear you "Cisco Man" down a few pegs! ;)

lol..Thanks for that information. I will start my CCNP after I finish my windows 7 exam.
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i admit that i am new to all this, but i have to suggest - if people like/love cisco, why dont you apply for a job at your local telco or cable company or regional clec? Verizon, Comcast, Level 3, Windstream, wouldnt cisco people love to work for these wan enterprises? Dont they need lots of cisco people?
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @mallyg27 - congrats, fellow New Yorker, and great score!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    eba7272eba7272 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrat, u can always swap job with ur certifications which gives room for the needed experience.
    achievement is an impetus everyone should chase
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats on the pass! I recently passed my CCNA:S and I have little experience(I'm 19 years old so it's harder on the experience part) but I landed an internship and I will have a solid job in a few months. I will start the CCNP in a couple of months although I lack experience because I really want to - I am very eager to learn more and I find the topics extremely interesting. Taking that into account I am not going to leave it for later just because someone will frown upon it.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    webspongewebsponge Member Posts: 119
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    I felt the test was pretty straightforward. I used the cisco press official cert guie, cbt nuggets and gns3.
    Im about to do mine in 4 weeks, what was the exam like? what are the scenarios like?
    CCDP Next