Options

Project Ophelia

About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
Get ready to have your mind blown! This looks very cool.

Ophelia: This USB-Size Cloud Computer From Dell Is A Total Game Changer

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This has been on the cards for a while now. This is what Goolge Chrome OS was all about. install a web browser and deliver every thing from the cloud. So I don't see this as a game changer.

Look at the Raspberry Pi, draws 700mwatts, has hardware decoding built in and HDMI out. So the Idea of low powered PC's is not new, neither is offloading the processing to the cloud.

Are they going to tie it in to the Dell cloud? or will it be more open and allow third party cloud services. This will be the big question..

If they don't tie it in to dell other cloud companies will take advantage and Dell will lose out as the money to be made is not in the hard ware but the services you sell.

If they tie it to there cloud, is there cloud going to be good enough to build a big user base. if not any vendor can copy the hardware, and if there offering is better that's what people will use.

I still think Dell is behind the curve in this. can they drag people away from established cloud players in enough numbers to make this work?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Android USB sticks have been around for at least a year now. At the $50 price point, they are very tempting. I would certainly purchase one of the Dell ones for $50.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I don't think android is the final stop for this device. Regardless, the reason I am so impressed with this is because it is a more reformed Raspberry. Think about how much money a corporation could save when all they have to do is buy a monitor, mouse, and keyboard and plug this thing in. Not only is the $50.00 price tag cheap, it also allows for rapid replacement. Downtime from hardware failures would be minimal and if you can manage to load a VPN session, then you could simply slip this into your pocket at the end of the day. No longer would you have to worry about a laptop to lug around.

I love the raspberry pi but I would love it more if it had the capability that this device is advertising. If they manage to set this thing up with the ability to connect to a virtual host, I think they will be a hit in the corporate world, especially with companies that already have network storage in place.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I bought one of the Raspberry Pis and MK802s. I used the MK802 for streaming videos on my 60inch TV for awhile and it was nice but I eventually just got cable and gave it away to a fellow forum member. They're not bad and I can see it being great for kids but I doubt it'll ever replace a decent gaming system or the idea of having a PC you can work with offline with a full suite of applications, games, and other things. It'll have it's niche though
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Really what is this other than a virtual desktop / Thin Client?

and you already see thin clients that have Citrix clients, vpn, html and RDP built in, new ones are POE powered and can decode video and voice in hardware.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.